Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new 2014 vxr 1.8 blew up

The timing chain on a recently acquired new, VXR 1.8 snapped at 26 hrs. Unit was broken in as per manual. Customer Support wanted to rebuild the heads locally even with indentations on 3 pistons. 10 valves were bent. that was unexceptable. They will provide a new motor but will take up to 4 (four) months to ship from japan! So much for product support. All service was done at dealer. Asked for additional warranty on the new engine, Nope. Asked for them to do the first service ( at 10 hrs) Nope. This is my second new waverunner in as many yrs. Any ideas as to expedite this other than going after the lemon law or calling my attorney. Buyers beware!!

+1
    Call Yamaha......

+1
    That is the one thing that does truly suck when you have an engine rebuild. 10hr service is almost like you are paying a deductible on warranty repairs. I had my 14 serviced at the dealer for its 10hr and then shortly after it was stolen. Not looking forward to breaking in my 15 and then the service again (wish I had the time to do it myself).

+1
    Does the NA 1.8 use the same chain as the SVHO? If so this is yet another failure of that chain. Did Yamaha switch suppliers?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I think the guide tensioner might be the change.....the chain from earlier years is a different part number then the new svho models

+1
    Has anyone identified a better aftermarket chain? Could be a worthwhile investment, warranty nowithstanding...

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Cryogenic freeze it

The Yamaha warehouse in the US should have those engines on the shelf. I know someone who had trouble with a 2014 and the engine was at the dealer in 1 day... Your dealership is trying to screw you!

+1
    Yep the chain is the same part number but the part number is also the same for the older SHO engine .. Not sure what the deal is but it's obviously a little concerning at this point !

+1
    Chain is A pos!!!!! what I found when I pulled My SVHO Motor( wanting to see how it's setup). Is the fk... Chain guide is a POS Plastic caca . The natural guide is molded on the block and just enough room for the chain Itself, Tensioner Is fine.

I had a issue with The chain when I replaced my springs retainers and re shimmed/ adjusted lash on valve train. I kinked my chain ( blame half on my wife Holding ability). I ended up replacing my chain but I was so uncertain ( because I could not visually see) I decided to pull my motor and not only when I replaced my chain I marked the Crank and Modifed the block To avoid future issues.

I enclosed a picture of my stock Chain Kinked. In all my Years racing and building Drag cars I or none of my crew/ Friends have seen a kink chain lol.

Now try to take the kink Out!!! We did...

Chains Snap and reep Havok!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	342789  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information