Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Preventing stuck bolts before it happens?

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to prevent stuck bolts from happening in the first place, especially if you ride in salt water? I have been thoroughly frustrated with broken and stuck bolts on Jet ski engines and other things I've been working on this week.

I'm assuming since many bolts call for the use of Loctite, that anti-seize or the like should not be used, what do you all suggest as a preventative measure?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mogman8 View Post
    I'm assuming since many bolts call for the use of Loctite, that anti-seize or the like should not be used
    An anti-seize compound is exactly what should be used on many fasteners, IMHO. Loctite when used in the field is not as effective as when it is used in the factory to assemble the components. Once the fastener is loosened, the old Loctite should be removed (from both male and female threads) and the new Loctitie should cure before putting the assembly in service. Contrary to what you might think, the use of an anti-seize reduces the thread friction incurred while tightening and yields a greater clamp force. This reduces the likelihood of the fastener loosening.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    use of anti-sieze also makes you more prone to snap sparkplugs and bolts off if you are heavy handed.

Loctite needs clean stuff to work. I use anti seize for almost everything that has a lockwasher, and I use a torque wrench when possible.

+1
    Locktite is not to be used on sparkplugs except the ones with a black steel base (none on skiis). The shiny threaded part is actually a coating designed to break away from the plug to prevent seizure. Using locktite May cause over tightening resulting in threads breaking off in the cylinder head.

I use a gasket compound made my Quiksilver (Mercury Marine) called perfect seal. It works awesome, even in combination with loctite, and isn't nearly the mess never seize or similar.

+1

1211 Threebond

Quote Originally Posted by mogman8 View Post
    Does anybody have any suggestions on how to prevent stuck bolts from happening in the first place, especially if you ride in salt water? I have been thoroughly frustrated with broken and stuck bolts on Jet ski engines and other things I've been working on this week.

I'm assuming since many bolts call for the use of Loctite, that anti-seize or the like should not be used, what do you all suggest as a preventative measure?
    I've tried everything and the only thing I use (and have been for over 15 years) is 1211 Threebond.

I apply it on threads & bolt shaft. Technically, its designed for case assy but I haven't found anything that is as good to prevent the white powder of death (if you ride salt and don't use 1211, you know what I mean).

BTW: It smells incredible!!

8. +1 by:

+1
    I get the whole NGK bulletin about not using the gray anti seize on their plating coated plugs. I also get that the coating probably does help with seizing, however if you've ever taken a used plug out that coating gets super dirty and it's hard to get all the crud off. As for myself, I use a small amount of anti seize, and having been doing so for many years on all sorts of vehicles and engines. About 10 of those years have been on the current Kawi motor with those silly small threaded sparkplugs, and I have yet to have an issue. Personally I think it's a non issue either way because if whatever is working for you, keep doing that.

+1
    My go to is loctite 572 thread sealant on the threads and white Seadoo synth grease on the heads.

+1
    Locktite saltwater nickel anti seize rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information