Jet pump oil change

Hey guys, I just changed my jet pump oil but didn't have and loctite sealer or thread locker. I didn't use any on the filler plug and was wondering how long it would be before water could penetrate through the threads and into the pump?
    Also with the lack of thread locker, how often should i check the bolts are tight? I don't have a torque wrench but I did them as tight as I feel is enough, similar to the tightness of getting them off.
    Thanks

+1
    10 days 3 hours 6 minutes and 43 seconds till that thing is totally f'ed and explodes into a million pieces... Really? Nobody can tell ya exactly how long it will be before you get water in your pump and chance completely destroying the bearings and costing you a lot of money... Buy some blue loctite and do the job right... If you can't find thread sealer you can use pipe thread dope or thread tape very carefully in a pinch on the plug, but i wouldn't ever hit the water without loctite on those tail cone bolts, but that's just me. I loctite the pump bolts too... and double check your bailer o-rings... so you don't sink that thing.

3. +1 by:

All done properly, cheers haha.
    I used non hardening gasket sealer for the refill plug and loctited all the bolts I removed, took it out yesterday for 3 hours and all was well!
    Thanks

+1
    I just rebuilt a jet pump because it had water in it. The cost isn't that bad but it is a pita so do it right the first time.

Should gasket maker be placed around the o-ring between the cone and the pump?

+1
    NO. Gasket maker just makes a mess, make sure the oring looks good (not flattened out or torn, replace it if necessary) and put some oil on the oring and slide it in. Gasket maker makes the next time a huge ass mess, you have to completely remove all the old to get things to seal up the next time you take it apart. Personally, I pressure test all of the pumps that i do to make sure they don't leak. I have a nipple that goes in the check plug hole and i use a pressure pump with a gauge to make sure it holds 10psi indefinitely. The leak test is asking a lot, but i do enough of these i like to make sure that they are 100% when they leave.

Thanks heaps, I ended up only using it on the threads of the filler hole nipple. The o-ring was in good shape and i cleaned it in oil (some bit of dirt on the outside and it went in smoothly, its been out 3 times and no weird sounds/vibrations as of yet. I think i will replace this every 25hrs though just to keep it up

at our shop we recomend changing that oil every year at winterize time.

Thread Information