+1
    Not trying to reinvent the wheel here but this has my curiosity. Has anyone attempted to see if angling a stock plate offers a speed gain? Extended trim tabs are known to lose speed on glass and I wonder if angling the shorter stock plate would do better than expected. It kind of looks like a short version of the skegless Island plate. Anyone try it? I'm talking GPR's.
    Last edited by Prism; 09-26-2014 at 06:39 PM.

+1
    Angling the stock plate does increase speed but not to the extent the R&D angled or more especially the Jim's modified plate.

+1
    I always wanted to build a GP1300R using all stock parts and see how fast it would go. You know, raise the jugs, mill the stock head, bend the stock prop, angle the stock plate, gut air box/airflow mods, etc. Anything and everything but all stock components. The only aftermarket part would be a fuel controller. If it was a drag car think of it as a pure stock. Tweaking to the max on stock stuff. I wonder how fast it would go?

+1
    I like your thinking .... would I have to give up my intake grate & ride plate ? Ha Ha I mean the OEM intake grate as you know is a piece of shit

+1
    I've been told (from the early days before we knew better) that the stock grate is faster than an 800 grate by almost a mile an hour. The problem is the lack of wing which keeps the back of the ski planted. Using an angled plate with a stock intake causes the ski to rise too much and can result in sudden 90 degree turns that launch riders off. I don't know if that issue would still happen with the shorter but now angled modified stock plate. I don't think its been tried. Wouldn't it be cool to crest 70mph without spending a dime on parts? (except an efi controller) One would have to be careful until the handling could be verified.

+1
    The shorter but angled stock plate in combination with the stock grate is exactly what threw me off at close to 70 mph. Proven bad to use stock grate on any modified GPR. Why try to re-invent the wheel when it is a proven safety issue? The problem with "being careful until handling is verified" is do do not get a warning.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    I always wanted to build a GP1300R using all stock parts and see how fast it would go. You know, raise the jugs, mill the stock head, bend the stock prop, angle the stock plate, gut air box/airflow mods, etc. Anything and everything but all stock components. The only aftermarket part would be a fuel controller. If it was a drag car think of it as a pure stock. Tweaking to the max on stock stuff. I wonder how fast it would go?
    Back in the day someone on the west coast documented how he tweeked a GP1200R through hull mods/pump mods etc and no engine mods other than fine tuneing. He got it to 68... stock prop included. His one mod was the aftermarket intake grate.... to much water going into the pump system and sudden decelleration from about 67-68 (or higher) causes the GPR to suddenly dart to the right with the rider getting ejected when ever the stock intake is used. The stock intake is a safety issue at these speeds.

This happened to me at 69-70 when I had my Gp1200R ported. That night I ordered an R&D 800. grate.

Thread Information