2008 Utopia 430hp engine problem

Hi I am new to this forum and I was hoping for some help diagnosing my engine troubles. About a week ago I was toying around in the boat a lot of wot and when I slowed down one engine shut down I restarted it but it was making a rattling noise then stalled so I docked the boat. The next day I tried both engines again and the same engine started but rattled I applied the throttle and it ran better for a minute or so then stalled again. I now have the boat home on the trailer and when it's hooked to the hose the engine will run for a few seconds at a time and stall and sounds terrible like a bad rattling or clangin. I have changed the spark plugs didn't help also swapped the fuel rail and injectors from my good engine to make sure it wasn't a bad injector and that didn't change anything. Any ideas on what could be causing this I'm thinking I may have blown my engine any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

+1
    Check the supercharger, could also be sheared flywheel bolts, a dropped valve into the cylinder. Hopefully none of this is the case.

Would a supercharger problem cause stalling? Also is their any way to test the flywheel theory without disassembling the motor. I will be doing a compression test soon I guess that could tell me if a valve is a possibility thanks for your help.

Compression test showed 150psi on each cylinder so I would assume that eliminates the valve or piston problems could it still be the crank or crank bearings ? Also at one point after the problem occurred I was able to restart the engine and get it to 8000rpm does that eliminate supercharger failure ? As it is now with the plugs unhooked the engine whirls over and then seems to seize after a few seconds I can get it to whirl over again not sure if that is significant.

+1
    Pull the SC intake hose and see of it spins free, also pull SC output hose to check for debris. Check the pump for anything lodged. Valves are good by what you described. Not sure what type noise you are hearing. Pull the valve cover and inspect, check the timing chain to make sure all looks good. Pull the oil filter and check for metal.

The pump was the first place I checked and it's fine I pulled the valve cover and the timing chain seems fine everything else seemed fine no metal shavings. Nothing when I pulled the SC output hose and when I pulled the SC intake hose it did not spin free but their was significant play on the shaft. I pulled the SC intake hose on the good engine to compare and It had a slight amount of play but nowhere near as much as the SC on the bad engine. Not sure what that could mean should I pull the charger ? Ii forgot to pull the filter and check for metal I will do that this afternoon .

So I pulled the SC and it turns out it was a bad bearing allowing the SC impeller to grind against the housing so I will be replacing both SC . Should I be worried about metal shavings getting into the motor is their anything I can do other then oil and filter changes to try to remove any metal ? Also curious as to why this was making the boat stall ?

+1
    Take some pics of the damaged SC if you have pulled the housing on it and post pics, just curious to see how much metal the engine may have ate. It's llikely you found your noise in the SC, if it's just a little dust you MAY be ok on the cylinders.

I have pulled the housing and their is a fair bit of damage to the SC impeller and housing I will try to post some pics and I will begin flushing the engine. I'm considering replacing both SC with the X Chargers and and injectors I already have upgraded intake if i do decide to go that route what pitch is best for impeller 15/20? And are their any other upgrades that are a must with that setup?

Thread Information