Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DESS Post Issue Maybe?

Hey All,

This is my first post and not sure if this is the area to post about problems but in any case I experienced the following today when I took out my 2006 RXT:

1) Plugged in my key and absolutely nothing happened
    2) With the key UNPLUGGED I had a buddy jump start the battery (he connected to his terminals first) and when I attached to the positive terminal on my dead battery the dashboard lit up and beeped twice as if I had plugged my key in
    3) I plugged in my key and tried starting it and it turned over but didn't fully start
    4) I went ahead and bought a new battery (the old one dropped to 3V and doesn't seem rechargeable) and when I attached to the terminals the dashboard comes up and beeps twice again with the key UNPLUGGED still
    5) The DESS post is what I believe drained my battery initially and I've heard it contains a transistor that can go bad especially with lightning around (I live in FL and its been storming the passed week)

I want to hear from others to verify that a bad DESS post is the likely cause of what I described above before I go ahead and replace it. Also, can I just cut the three wires that connect to the DESS post and shrink wrap the wires to the new DESS post (was just going to buy a used one from a jet ski part store).

Thanks ahead of time!
    V

+1
    magnet possibly stuck in the dess post. Try unplugging the actual dess post and see if the problem persists, if it does then it will be an ecu problem. My money is on the dess post.

Thanks for the reply...I unplugged the adapter that the DESS post wires plug into and I'm able to attach the battery terminals with no problems and no indications of any other components drawing power. Is there any way to get the magnet "unstuck" by banging the post with something? Not really sure what components are in the DESS post but I'll replace it with a working used one and post if it resolves the issue or not. Thanks again!

+1
    I could not say with 100% certainty what your issue is, but you should not jump the battery because you risk damaging the ECU.

5. +1 by:

I didn't know it could possibly damage the ECU if you jump the battery. Thanks for the heads up. I was also told not to splice a DESS post into the existing wires since it can affect the OHMs, voltage, etc and cause incorrect reading to the MPEM. I ended up purchasing a used DESS harness kit (DESS post, start/stop button, and beeper) and that ended up fixing the issue. Thanks for you guys' inputs!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    I could not say with 100% certainty what your issue is, but you should not jump the battery because you risk damaging the ECU.

That's a problem with SeaDoo's too???

I thought it was just a problem with my old Direct Injected Kawi due to the much higher voltage of the FI system.

It is an old wives tale that you shouldn't jump start . Many manufacturers (like Sea Doo) put warnings against jump starting and charging in-vehicle because too many bozos hook up the cables backwards and fry the electronics.

So I took the ski out for a test run for about an hour and came back, stopped the ski, pulled the key out, and the dashboard stayed on once again! I was also able to start the ski without the key plugged in. I unhooked the battery to stop the beeping and brought it back home. I connected the battery again and the dashboard came on and I was still able to start the ski without the key plugged in. I decided to unhook the DESS harness adapter and then was able to hear the fuel pump cycling every 15 seconds or so. I also noticed that when I plug the DESS harness back on, it would sometimes intermittently not turn the dashboard on or would quickly cycle the dash repeatedly. The entire fuse box was replaced with a spare and the issue still persists Does this sound like a dreaded ECU problem that I was hoping it wasn't?? Its just weird that replacing the DESS harness temporarily fixed the original problem. I either must not have noticed the fuel pump cycling before or it just coincidentally started happening today...but I'm kinda leaning towards not hearing it originally.

P.S. I tested multiple times yesterday (out of water) that starting and stopping the ski worked and that unplugging my key turned off the dashboard. Everything worked properly until I took it out for an hour in choppy waves and have to admit jumping through a lot of them.

+1
    did you replace the dess post?

Quote Originally Posted by toxicgun View Post
    did you replace the dess post?
    Yes I did...it's strange because it seemed to have fixed the problem initially but the problem (dashboard staying on with key pulled out) reappeared after I took out the ski for an hour. Could the ECU be killing the DESS post? There definitely is an underlying issue not pertaining to the DESS post because I can hear the fuel pump cycling about every 15 seconds or so...maybe bad ground?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information