Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2006 gp1300r

+1
    So I picked up a 2006 GP1300R for my girlfriend to use (tired of riding 2up on mine) back in June. The only mod at that time was a d-plate. The ski turned 6980 rpm at first and would barely hit 60 mph. I found the throttle cable misadjusted and the cat over temp alarm would also come on. I know a 2006 shouldn't need a chip, but after installing a home made 2.2kohm resistor the over temp alarm is fixed. I also found the trailing edge of the impeller beat to crap so I straightened it. After that, she took the ski out and clocked [email protected] That was the official starting point. We have since vacationed to some lakes in New Hampshire and New York state. Both my skis ran great.(this one included). After coming home, I promptly got on the phone and ordered some new & used parts from WFO. Its always cool to bounce ideas off another speed freak. I got a great deal too! Thanks Rich! I've never done a build thread before but have done quite a few skis. I have started mods already and have a new top speed. Some may not believe how easy 70 can come. My plan is to make one change at a time (if possible) and post along the way. I take notes every time I make a change and will share every detail here. Tools are a Garmin GPS and PET tach. I have to finish fitting my plate and then I'll post exact results. I'll end today with a picture of the ski. Check back soon and wish me luck!
    Last edited by Prism; 10-11-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: .

+1
    So I have a couple of pictures. The first pic is the dinged up prop trailing edge that was fixed. All the blades were that bad or worse. The second is my pump shoe. I used clear 2 part polyester casting resin I bought at a craft store to fill the voids. Much cheaper and works better than a store bought pump plug kit. I also shaved .030" off the shoe mounting surface to recess the shoe slightly more than stock. As it sits right now the shoe is recessed slightly more in the front (.110") than the back. (.080") I used a grinder with a flapper type sanding disk. I ran it back to front on the mounting surface with light pressure in the back and more as I went forward. I did an equal number of strokes each side and then test fit and measured for squareness. When I was satisfied, I sealed the shoe with Atwood marine sealant from Walmart. I took the ski out twice since and gained a substantial amount the first day with a prop, grate and plate. (Changed the same day at the lake) The second day Worx sponsons were tested. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Prism; 10-01-2014 at 01:51 PM.

+1
    Ok, so now that the shoe was set where I wanted it I then test fit an R&D 800 grate supplied by WFO. The pocket in the rear mounting surface that says "R&D" was filled with casting resin. I also took approx .025" off the front mounting surface to match the amount I took off the shoe. I used the same technique to remove metal as the shoe. I also test fit the R&D ride plate supplied by WFO. He cut pockets to clear the pump and nozzle, trued the riding surface, angled the cutouts on the angled sides of the plate, cut the mounting surface for more angle and gave the plate a good polish. Being that the shoe is tighter than normal in this hull, I only got a plate height of .840" when bolted up. I continued to grind the mounting points evenly until I achieved a plate height of 1.015". I would check for "plate rocking" on a flat surface with mounting points down and adjust the mounts until the plate sat perfectly flat. I then installed a low profile pump strainer that I had lying around otherwise the speedo wheel would not fit. Satisfied with the plate fit and height, I moved onto the impeller. WFO pitched and supplied a 14/21 impeller. I told him to not cut the outside diameter all the way because I wanted to fit it tightly to my pump. I installed it and did have to massage it, but I love the tight fit I achieved. Clearance is set at about .005". Knowing that this skis engine is completely stock (not even airflow mods yet) I knew it wouldn't pull a 14/21. The answer was to use an 88mm 5° nozzle I had for a boat prop setup on another ski. The nozzle has the suction bilge tube removed and plugged along with the visibility spray plugged. I did the same mods to the stock 85mm nozzle for use at a later date. I reinstalled the stock ride plate and grate then headed to the lake for testing. The ski had 5 gallons of gas in it and the weather was overcast 71°f and humidity was 68%. Water was glass to very slight wind ripple. Upon arrival I did some shakedown runs to make sure everything was good...RPM with the 14/21 and 88mm nozzle were perfect at 7110. Satisfied everything was good I did several runs back to back and consistently ran 66.7mph @7110 rpm. For all test runs thus far sponsons were up. That's a gain of 1.6mph over stock. My notes show the ski porposed slightly with the stock plate. I then added the 800 grate and R&D plate. Fuel was now just on the buzzer and no shims were installed under the rear plate mounts. Plate height was confirmed @ 1.050". I made several runs at 69.8 mph @ 7110rpm. My girlfriend is the one who achieved the highest top speed stock (she's at least 60 lbs lighter) so she took the ski out. She recorded the new best of 70.1 mph @ 7120 rpm. The ski proposed much more and was difficult to get a clean run. I added a .015" shim under the back of the plate and retested. Speed and rpm dropped to 69.8 mph @ 7110 rpm but the ride was a little more stable. At this point I was out of shims and out of time. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Prism; 06-16-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: I

+1
    The following day, the weather and conditions at the lake were pretty much identical. 5 gallons of fuel and Worx sponsons were added to the ski. I was going to step the stockers but wanted to see how these would do. They are a 2 piece sponson that can be installed in the up or down position. I chose the up position for this test. Also there was no shims under the rear mounts of the ride plate. More shims are on order from McMaster. Plate height was 1.015". Overall the turning felt a tad crisper than stock and probably would have been even better if positioned down. I however, was more interested in decreasing porposing and retaining speed. To me the ski seemed to porpose even more during mid range cruise (30-45mph) but settled a bit as speed increased. At max speed I was able to make clean runs with very little porposing but it was just on the verge. If I hit a few ripples it would porpose for a couple seconds but then settle back down and continue on. My speed and rpm were consistently at 69.6 mph @ 7100 rpm with me driving. That's .2 mph lost from MY best on this ski, but very slight almost non existent porposing at top speed. This was absolute glass to very slight wind ripple like the day before. These may be as good as stepped stockers for speed, but I don't like the cruise porpose. I'll wait till my stainless shims arrive and I'll get my metal 1200 trim tabs with shims ready for next time. After that I have airflow and pipe cooling mods and a 1200 waterbox planned. I may even try an 87 and 85mm nozzle to see what happens to speed and rpm. Keep in touch with yourself! Lol.
    Last edited by Prism; 06-16-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: U

+1
    Stainless steel shims in .010 and .015 increments came in from McMaster Carr. Trim tabs will be final smoothed and ready to test.
    But if everyone has moved on to bloated 4 strokes let me know. I guess the new fascination is "how much more air can I compress". Whatever, I'll still be with my 2 strokes. Less expense, less complexity, instant power. Remember the Spartans used spears. No complicated $4000 rebuild shenanigans.
    Last edited by Prism; 10-02-2014 at 01:25 PM.

+1
    looking good so far

wow. keep up the good work. Long live two strokes!

+1
    Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep following the advice of your mentors (Rich, @ WFO) .. he will get you there Ha Ha Good Luck

Very nice looking ski. You have made a lot progress in a very short time. Always liked that color scheme.

BTW - nothing like the smell of race gas and castrol.... Love live two-strokes!

10. +1 by:

+1
    nice job on modding your ski , Tommy Jordan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information