+1

seadoo fly wheel bolts

Hey guys , last week my 2012 RXPX260 fly wheel bolts snapped and destroyed my jetski. It was that bad that it could not be saved and had run out of warranty by 3 months . I am lucky that I got $7000 for the ski's hull . So now I'm thinking of buying a new ski but worried if I buy a new seadoo that this will happen again or should I buy a Yamaha or Kawasaki . Is this a common thing with all ski's or just seadoo? .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140930_090832.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	343187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140930_090827.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	343186

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Was the ski stock?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucka View Post
    Is this a common thing with all ski's or just seadoo?
    Not uncommon if you increase RPM limit. Let me guess, you had a VTECH tune on this ski...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Was the ski stock?
    Not making excuses for BRP but his ski had over 460hrs and possibly a tune.

+1
    yes the ski got the vtech tune 8375 but only got up to 7820 with a solas 15/21 prop . I know it had some hours on it but I kept the maintenance up on it . Other than that these were the only mods . Should I have done something to the flywheel so that I could have avoided this?

+1
    yes the ski got the vtech tune 8375 but only got up to 7820 with a solas 15/21 prop . I know it had some hours on it but I kept the maintenance up on it . Other than that these were the only mods . Should I have done something to the flywheel so that I could have avoided this?
    For the most part, it doesn't matter that you only had an 8375 tune. With the VTECH tune its not uncommon to see motor flash to 9K when pump comes unhooked. If you think about it, with a taller prop (15/21) you will have a greater RPM fluctuation between operating RPM and free rev limit. While only a thought, a motor that has a wider RPM gap is under more stress (only in terms of flywheel bolts). Imagine a motor spinning at 9,000RPM then suddently spinning at 7820RPM in a matter of milliseconds (from water loading pump).

Still, BRP should own up to this issue and and while not recal worthy, they should extend warranty on flywheel bolt failure for 3yrs.

BTW: So there is no misunderstanding. Proper human finger control is always important, however there is no way anyone can catch every free rev. Especially if you ride in ocean or big lakes.

+1
    Yes, you could have done something to avoid this...

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2603

8. +1 by:

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    +1 Proper human finger control is always important, float the throttle when unhooked

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    For the most part, it doesn't matter that you only had an 8375 tune. With the VTECH tune its not uncommon to see motor flash to 9K when pump comes unhooked. If you think about it, with a taller prop (15/21) you will have a greater RPM fluctuation between operating RPM and free rev limit. While only a thought, a motor that has a wider RPM gap is under more stress (only in terms of flywheel bolts). Imagine a motor spinning at 9,000RPM then suddently spinning at 7820RPM in a matter of milliseconds (from water loading pump).

Still, BRP should own up to this issue and and while not recal worthy, they should extend warranty on flywheel bolt failure for 3yrs.

BTW: So there is no misunderstanding. Proper human finger control is always important, however there is no way anyone can catch every free rev. Especially if you ride in ocean or big lakes.
    So this is something that was possibly caused by a modified watercraft, and you want warranty to cover it??? How does that work???

Thread Information