Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I can't find an SUV near me. Any thoughts on a 3 seat 95-98 WaveVenture?

Strictly for fishing. I'm seeing a lot of these for a reasonable price. I am handy and understand the risks of getting an older pwc. I just want to know, as a platform, if the 1100 wave ventures a good/suggestable for fishing.

Thanks!

+1
    I fished off a 98 polaris for a couple years before I rigged an suv. just depends on how much you want to do to it.

Is a SUV really that much larger and stable than a f12? Mine feels like a yatch

+1
    There is no comparison. The SUV is super stable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskibrian View Post
    It is nearly 13ft long, and just 1 inch shy of 5ft wide.

I am 250lbs, even when i was 280 last year, i could stand on the very edge of the ski and bounce and not even come close to tipping it. I dont think i could roll it if i tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post

I am 250lbs, even when i was 280 last year, i could stand on the very edge of the ski and bounce and not even come close to tipping it. I dont think i could roll it if i tried.
    Thanks for the input. I would like to start off with the best hull/platform I can. But that said, I'm 5'8" 170lb wet. Should I still be shopping for the biggest boat or will a 10 footer like say a GP1200 or that f12 float me well enough?

To answer @Jetskibrian, I would probably be fishing offshore southern California mostly. I would start off within 1-2 miles then likely push the distance once I get more comfy.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by herefishyfishy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post

Thanks for the input. I would like to start off with the best hull/platform I can. But that said, I'm 5'8" 170lb wet. Should I still be shopping for the biggest boat or will a 10 footer like say a GP1200 or that f12 float me well enough?

To answer @Jetskibrian, I would probably be fishing offshore Southern California mostly. I would start off within 1-2 miles then likely push the distance once I get more comfy.
    Reliability is an important factor, especially as you get farther away from shore.

Even with emergency services that can come and tow you back, it is far better to never need them. A larger hull will be safer if the weather turns rough and you are stranded without power, or simply have to smash your way home through the waves.

Engine reliability is of course the biggest question, but many of the other moving parts can also strand you if they fail. A single jet pump bearing failure can stop the whole show. Or an electrical system problem.

Once you have chosen the hull, turning an old watercraft into a reliable watercraft can involve removing, inspecting, and possibly rebuilding almost everything on the hull. And then there is the engine, whether 2-stroke stock or four stroke conversion.
    Last edited by K447; 10-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.

8. +1 by:

+1
    If I was to build a fishing ski I would get a SUV with a na 1.8 Yamaha swap. Imo that would be the best possible setup from almost any perspective.

10. +1 by:

+1
    A 1200, or just about any older 2 stroke for that matter is going to be tipsy when not under power. Especially 2 seaters. The 97-99 gp1200's that you ask about for exampl, are just 44 inches at the widest width, and sit very high in the water. No mater how light or agile you are, you would have to use care moving around on it. Also storage needs to be considered if you are setting up a dedicated fishing machine.

If you are not patient enough to wait for an suv to come onto the market, then just about any 4 stroke would give you a decent platform for solo fishing. Plus 4 strokes are more reliable in general. Although none of my yamaha 1200 engine failures have left me completely stranded, except a starter failure that is. The 1200's can still push about 70% fireing on 2 cylinders. That is why most rebuilds are so torn up. People tend to think it will just clear up and keep riding.....

+1
    A starter solenoid failure left me stranded 12 miles out on my FX. With only a single engine, it doesn't take but one small component to leave you hanging.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information