Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

300x OverHeat...

Hello all. I'd like to tell you someone else did this, but I am the shameful human in this story... So, I went for a quick run yesterday high up on the river where it's fresh to run it through the motor at higher thrusts before winterization. I got back and had to take some strong cough medicine due to a recent Bronchitis. After it kicked in I figured I would do a quick flush with salt away, even though it was fresh water. Anyway, I hooked it up, fired the engine and let it run. I guess in my cough medicine stupor I had hooked the hose to the intercooler flush port. This is very unlike me, but feel free to throw insults as I deserve them. I didn't realize it until the display started yelling "Heat". Immediately it was shut down. Water was hooked up the proper way and was ran with lots of steam coming out the pisser and exhaust. Now I am in shameful freaking out mode. Let the engine cool, looked for damage, did compression tests along with leakdown tests, even went for a ride in the dark. Today I went for another longer ride and it is running fine, also the compression and leakdown tests were good as well. I can't imagine however there was no damage done, these Heads don't like tons of heat. Anything I should watch out for?

I suppose the point of this story is to pay the F attention, and like the medication bottle states, DON'T OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY!!!!

+1
    When you flushed the ski and steam was coming out of the pisser ,We assume water was coming steady out too,did you feel how hot it was ?
    When the water first comes out with a flush it's pretty hot but after a minute it should now turn Luke warm as it extracts the heat from from the water jackets ..

See if this happens again,check the water temp from the pisser...

3. +1 by:

I bet your fine Rescue. When Overheat Buzzer came on, you shut it down (that's good) All that steam coming out was the left over Boiling water in the Waterbox. But like JetDave says, take it for another spin and report back . . .

Don't be so hard on yourself! But your right about your cough syrup; if it's the "codeine stuff" than I would use it with discretion JB

5. +1 by:

+1
    no stress its an alarm there to warn of possible damages if you continue to ignore maybe but my best advise kick back with some sorry ass cans of your favourite brew

7. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks all. I think the steam was from the just turned on water through the proper flushing port hitting the really hot exhaust bits. I'd imagine if something was really screwed up it wouldn't run was well as it did, let alone have good compression and pass the leakdown. Big lesson learned with mind altering medications and expensive toys...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    Thanks all. I think the steam was from the just turned on water through the proper flushing port hitting the really hot exhaust bits. I'd imagine if something was really screwed up it wouldn't run was well as it did, let alone have good compression and pass the leakdown. Big lesson learned with mind altering medications and expensive toys...
    For next time and I hope there isn't one. The best thing to do would be to let the ski cool right down before you flush a hot engine with cold water. Just the same as you should never put cold water in the radiator of your car if it has overheated.

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    Anything I should watch out for?
    Watch for possible "milky" engine oil after each ride for next few times.
    If the head develops a crack or warpage, cooling water could get into the crankcase via combustion chamger.
    I'm not saying it will happen. Just watch out, just like you asked for it.

Even better way (to have peace of mind) is to send out your "used" engine oil after some riding to a lab for analysis. They will tell you exactly how much H2O is in the oil by %. It costs less than $20 per test.

Here is a sample of oil analysis. The Water content is in green/bluish box.

12. +1 by:

+1
    Excellent advice, thank you. I have been keeping an eye out for the milky oil the past 2 rides post stupidity and it remains clean. But I am extending my winterization schedule a bit and will be taking some cold rides so I know if I need to be doing an engine teardown this winter.

+1
    These sensors can be can be triggered for unexplainable reasons though they shouldn't be brushed off and ignored..

Coming back from some rough bay riding I beached her for a little break, as soon as I turned her off an F1 code came up and the trim indicator on the dash was going up and down,I pulled the mobilizer key out waited a minute put the key back in went out a few ft put the lanyard in and started her,seemed fine rode a little bit and turned her off and beached the ski again,now normal..

Ive done about 10-12 hrs since never saw the code or trim acting erratically again...

Banned User
    +1
    I got into a patch of weeds before that couldn't easily be escaped. I had steam/heat/limp mode all going strong for quite some time, had no choice but to ride it out. Got 140hrs on her now, no problems. Dont be worried

16. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information