Introduction and info

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while, time to come out of the shadows. I've been "jet skiing" for many years. First ski was a 1995 Sea Doo SPX. That was a fun boat for a couple summers on Lake Champlain in NY until I ran the nose of it into the transom of a 900 ZXi and split the hull and top deck. That was an expensive lesson learned! ***Don't ride too close to others!***

I went without a ski for far too long. A couple summers ago I pickup up a Kawi 800 SX-R. That was lots of fun, lots of work, and did I mention fun? I just sold it about a month ago though. I got it when I was single and all that mattered was me. I now have a girlfriend with kids so it's time for a sit down.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 2014 RXT 260. The dealer here has one listed for $11,176. OTD price with a new Triton trailer is a little over $12,800 all registered/titled, etc and good to go to the lake. Guy says the trailer is $850 so I don't know where they're getting almost $775 extra. I think the registration for the boat and trailer will only be around $300 so that's still almost $500 extra. Should I chalk that up to "doc fees" or "setup charges" or something?

I'm really excited to get the new RXT. I'm a little wary of spending this kind of $$ on a toy but man I know how much fun they are!

Any feedback on that pricing stuff is welcomed. Also if anyone has any tips for things I should be aware of with a brand new Sea Doo please let me know.

Thanks,

Todd H

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gtoddh View Post
    Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while, time to come out of the shadows. I've been "jet skiing" for many years. First ski was a 1995 Sea Doo SPX. That was a fun boat for a couple summers on Lake Champlain in NY until I ran the nose of it into the transom of a 900 ZXi and split the hull and top deck. That was an expensive lesson learned! ***Don't ride too close to others!***

I went without a ski for far too long. A couple summers ago I pickup up a Kawi 800 SX-R. That was lots of fun, lots of work, and did I mention fun? I just sold it about a month ago though. I got it when I was single and all that mattered was me. I now have a girlfriend with kids so it's time for a sit down.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 2014 RXT 260. The dealer here has one listed for $11,176. OTD price with a new Triton trailer is a little over $12,800 all registered/titled, etc and good to go to the lake. Guy says the trailer is $850 so I don't know where they're getting almost $775 extra. I think the registration for the boat and trailer will only be around $300 so that's still almost $500 extra. Should I chalk that up to "doc fees" or "setup charges" or something?

I'm really excited to get the new RXT. I'm a little wary of spending this kind of $$ on a toy but man I know how much fun they are!

Any feedback on that pricing stuff is welcomed. Also if anyone has any tips for things I should be aware of with a brand new Sea Doo please let me know.

Thanks,

Todd H
    Welcome Todd! That's seems like a great price on the ski. I paid right at 15k for my 14' RXT-X with a continental galvanized trailer. Ski was 12.5k+taxes+dealer fee's etc. Your deal seem's pretty good, I think I got a little raped on dealer fee's which is what you could be missing on the equation. It was about 1k with dealer fee, freight fee, etc. I could of negotiated a little bit more but I was happy with the deal, there was only 3 left in my area and got to(originally wanted a P-X but none were left) open up the box the ski came in. Wasn't a display model.

It doesn't hurt to haggle the price down more, especially if you were to pay cash vs financing.

+1
    In NY the registration is $26.25 ski (3 yr) and $39.50 trailer (1 yr).

Not sure your sales tax rate but at 8% your looking at $894 for $11,176 and $68 on $850.

$11,176 + $850 + $962 tax + $66 reg = $13,054.

If they mean OUT THE DOOR than this is a steal.

This is a very good ski for the BIG lake.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    In NY the registration is $26.25 ski (3 yr) and $39.50 trailer (1 yr).

Not sure your sales tax rate but at 8% your looking at $894 for $11,176 and $68 on $850.

$11,176 + $850 + $962 tax + $66 reg = $13,054.

If they mean OUT THE DOOR than this is a steal.

This is a very good ski for the BIG lake.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not on the BIG lake anymore. I live in NC now. I'll be riding much smaller lakes, and maybe, maybe, a trip into the ocean.

The sales tax rate in NC is 3%, but then we have property taxes and also there are separate fees for trailer reg and the actual plate. Everything is a little more difficult here it seems. I'm also a little confused as to whether the dealer collects the sales tax or the state when I register and title the ski and the trailer. I talked with the NC Wildlife people (boat reg) and the DMV (trailer reg) and didn't really get a straight answer. If I can save myself a few hundred dollars and do all that stuff myself then it will help pay for the cover I plan to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Misa View Post
    Welcome Todd! That's seems like a great price on the ski. I paid right at 15k for my 14' RXT-X with a continental galvanized trailer. Ski was 12.5k+taxes+dealer fee's etc. Your deal seem's pretty good, I think I got a little raped on dealer fee's which is what you could be missing on the equation. It was about 1k with dealer fee, freight fee, etc. I could of negotiated a little bit more but I was happy with the deal, there was only 3 left in my area and got to(originally wanted a P-X but none were left) open up the box the ski came in. Wasn't a display model.

It doesn't hurt to haggle the price down more, especially if you were to pay cash vs financing.
    Misa why did you choose the RXT-X over the RXT? I'm torn between those two myself. I can't see $1000 difference in the two skis and I like the fact the non-X model comes with the boarding step and Cruise/Slow mode.

I asked about cash price vs financing and the guy basically said everything is at cost at this point and there is no room for any more discount. I doubt they want to sit on a 2014 any longer than they need to but they also have a 2013 GTX 215 still in stock so I guess they aren't willing to lose too much $$ just to unload a ski.

This RXT is also in the crate right now. I won't be able to open the crate myself because I'd like to have the boat ready when I get there (dealer is an hour and a half away) but it is nice knowing it is fresh out of the crate.

Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!
    Thanks!

You went from a GTR to a couple Sparks? How was that transition?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gtoddh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Misa why did you choose the RXT-X over the RXT? I'm torn between those two myself. I can't see $1000 difference in the two skis and I like the fact the non-X model comes with the boarding step and Cruise/Slow mode.

I asked about cash price vs financing and the guy basically said everything is at cost at this point and there is no room for any more discount. I doubt they want to sit on a 2014 any longer than they need to but they also have a 2013 GTX 215 still in stock so I guess they aren't willing to lose too much $$ just to unload a ski.

This RXT is also in the crate right now. I won't be able to open the crate myself because I'd like to have the boat ready when I get there (dealer is an hour and a half away) but it is nice knowing it is fresh out of the crate.
    The main difference between them is the X package(seat, steering, gauges, sponsoons) I believe thats it other than the color. It's really up to your preference, for me it was a no brainer for a few bucks more a month. I'm with steach, if that's out the door price then it is a steal. It was a great experience to be able to open up the crate and see with your own eyes that what you will be getting is brand new rather than sitting around with people sitting and messing with it. Right now BRP is doing a total of 4 year warranty so make sure you get that with the deal.

+1
    The main mechanical difference is the sponsons. The RXT-X has adjustable sponsons while the RXT are fixed.

I chose the RXT primarily for the sleeper look.

Thread Information