MSX 140 with bad cylinder

Good morning.

I am new to this forum, have read it a bit in the past, and also new to PWC. I am a motorcycle guy convinced by the kids we "needed" a PWC to pull a tube on the lake.... So I bought a 2003 MSX, even though I knew Polaris no longer produced PWC.

I used it a bit this summer but then this fall found out that one cylinder is damaged and down to 75 psi (the other two around 125). The independent shop here in town wanted to replace the whole motor, for more than I paid for the machine, but I think I have convinced him to just re-plate that one cylinder and put in a piston kit. I suppose I could tackle this project, but since I haven't worked on PWC, I figured I have someone more professional do it.

Am I all wrong here in my approach? I am not trying to have a 100% fine tuned racing machine, but just something I can run 20-30 hours a season. The shop suggested sending the jug to WSM in Florida and having them do the re-plating and match a piston to it. Do I run the risk of weight difference between the pistons? Should I put a complete WSM piston kit on all three so they all match? Or should I send the jug to some other plating house and buy a Polaris OEM piston (found out they have it for one of their snow-cat engine)? I have found some mixed reviews on WSM and many prefer Pro-X, or other after market brands, but maybe that is like which one is better, Ford or Chevy...

Thanks in advance for you help,

Emil
    Grand Forks ND.

Banned User
    +1
    Send the cylinder out for a replate and buy a Polaris OEM piston. Check your fuel pressure and do the repair for the regulator. The fuel pressure regulator falling off in the tank is usually the cause of fried pistons in these skis.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

When you remove the cylinder and piston, an inspection may tell you why it failed.

How many running hours on this engine?

Do you know the maintenance history?

Even if the fuel pressure is still good I highly recommend reinforcing the mounting for the fuel pressure regulator. These can fall off inside the fuel pump at any time and the risk to the engine is high.

See my signature links for other recommended maintenance items.

What would be a prime place to have the replating done? Also, is the OEM piston just a simple drop in or is there a need for a matching/measuring? I think I may end up pulling the machine home to my garage and tackle this project myself. May need some help from your gurus out there as I go along. Any good thread out there on the fuel regulator fix?

Thanks,
    Emil

Banned User
    +1
    The replating company will finish the bore to the right size. The piston is just install and go.

The repair shop recommends going with CV Tech Cylinder for $290 and OEM piston for $178, total job with labor ca. $1000. Sounds reasonable?

Thanks,
    Emil

+1
    pull the cyl off yourself and send it to power seal or us chrome.order an spi piston for an 02 800 xc snowmobile and a top end gasket kit.less than 500.00 bucks.dont forget about the fuel pump.JMO

Thread Information