Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha SUV 2001 won't start

Today I just went out for a run. Everything was great, running ok. But when we stopped at the beach, I turned it off, and then, after 1mn, tried to turn it on again. but it won't start, nothing. The display panel completely off. After 5mn, it was ok, and started fine.

We stayed all afternoon at the beach, and it started fine again. We returned to the marina, and then, when i was about to start it again to clean it, completely dead again! Display panel dead, won't start nothing!

Can anybody help me?

thks.

+1
    Could be many things starter switch, stop switch sticking, selenoid, loose wire some where, starter not functioning when hot/warm....... Listen under the seat real close next time it happens and see if there is a clicking coming from the electrical box behind the engine. As it stands there are just way to many potential things it could be, without enough info to diagnose over a forum.

The display not lighting up doesnt mean alot by itself as it doesnt usally light up till after the engine spins over causing a signal from the stator.

thks for your reply. I will try to see if I hear something, but i didn't heard anything the last time...itīs really strange

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd be looking at the kill switch, they are know to wear quickly and what you describe sounds like that problem. Next time you can get it to start do not remove the lanyard and see if it behaves itself.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Doesn't it have power valves? You should hear them cycle when you put kill lanyard in. If not I suspect lanyard kill switch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Doesn't it have power valves? .
    No

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerreiro View Post
    thks for your reply. I will try to see if I hear something, but i didn't heard anything the last time...itīs really strange
    The clicking i am refering to would not be real noticable with thr seat on, and not super loud with the seat off. It is the click of the selonoid you are looking for. Assuming you don't mess with anything other than pushing the start button, ( if you do mess with the lanard or stop button then i am going with nmpeter.) And problem occurs when recently shut down, but goes away after a good cool down, i am leaning towards selonoid or more likely the starter.

I was just trying to start it once again. Nothing. Completely dead. Then opened up the seats, and was checking around the motor to see if I find something unusual. Then was checking the red and black cables, that come from the battery, to see where they link into the motor and CDI, and see if theres something loose. Didnīt find anything. Then....Tried once again to start it, and it started!!!!! So, what do you guys think? Something loose? But where? everything seems normal to me!!!!

+1
    When it does not start, does the mfd have power? Should be able to power it up for locking/unlocking the system via the mode button regaurdless of lanyard connection.(the only thing you will see is the start/lock message on the right side while holding down mode, when mode is released then the mfd immediately goes blank again.) No power when pushing the mode button means bad battery or ground connection, Or a bad connection in the harness. You should unplug each harness connecter and look for corrsion or just a loose connection/pin if you have not already done so.(located behind the round cover inside the front compartment back wall under the handle bars on most SUV's, slight chance they could be reached from under the seat on top of the fuel tank if someone rerouted them a little.)
    If it does have power and you did not hear the clicking then either the tether kill switch or stop button could be failing. Moisture or just old wore out parts are the blame. Could also be the selonoid at this point to, (easiest way to diagnose is to check signal wire at selonoid) and yes it could still be a bad connection somewhere. Connections can fail from corrosion or lots of oxidatin. Only way to do it right is to actully disconnect visually check and clean the terminals/post and retighten.

If it were in front of me I would first check all harness connections and ground from battery to starter. I would then open the electrical distribution box behind the engine and make sure everything looks good tight and moisture free. While in here I would check the selonoid signel wire for power when start button is pressed.(the smaller wire on the edge of the selonoid, the two bigger ones on the top are going to battery and starter.) This can be conveniently set up via a jumper wire attached to the post, and ran in with the fuse under the little screw on fuse cap on the front of the box.(make sure it cant make contact with the fuse in here or vibrate back into the box while riding. A butt conector attached to the wire works wounders, as you can insert the test probe easily on the water without fooling with a wirenut or tape, yet the plastic casing protects against unwanted connections. And a small wire tie holding your wire to the fuse will keep it where you want it.) Replace cover. Now just carry a cheep test light ( i hope you can find room for it, the SUV has such limited storage) and next time it happens pop the seat unscrew fuse cap and hook the test light to the wire you ran and see if you have power while pushing start. If you do indead have power on this wire but no start, and there is no clicking then grats, it is your selonoid. This can be farther verified by jumping the two post on top of the seloniod if it happened on land while you have the cover off, farther verification is redundent tho. If there is power on the signal wire and no audible click then it is the selonoid. If it is clicking then it is your starter. (Assuming you verified starter power and ground connections.) If you have no power on the wire when pusing the start button then it is one of the before mentioned switches connections or buttons, but atleast you now know what end of the ski to focus your search.
    Last edited by Echo; 10-06-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Many Thks! I think the problem might be the cable for the starter, that is not well connected. But I will check the other possibilities that you refer. Many thks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information