Question Sea Doo 951 Guessing game. Backfiring , wont run.

Please play this guessing game with me. Why is my 951 backfiring ?

It recently rebuilt the 951 out of my 00 RX. It has been run in and was running fine for approx. 2 hrs riding . I took it easy as I did not want to destroy it so soon. For some reason it started to backfire and splutter so I headed back into the ramp. It then stopped and would not restart. About every 10 seconds while cranking it over it back fires badly.
    I have removed the carbs and cleaned them again and checked for spark and so on. Everything is fine. I have tried all of the tricks I know off to start it if it is flooded with fuel or not enough fuel and it still wont start. Same backfires.
    Please don’t say it is split crankcase seals or crank seals. They are only two hours old. But maybe it is ! I want to try all of your ideas before pulling the engine. ( I have owned this nugget since new , rebuilt it 4 times over the years and my wife hates the thing. )

Whoever guesses the correct cause and remedy of the backfires will received great acclaim from myself and the readers of this forum. I look forward to your advice.
    Thank you in advance.

+1
    I'm sure you changed the plugs. I chased a similar problem on an XPL that turned out to be a ground wire that had partially pulled out of the connector that went to the MPEM. Any chance the flywheel loosened, or sheered the key?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Start by checking compression,Trim the plug wire back 1/4 inch,clean check grounds, good battery,Carb pop off?leaky needles and seats,flywheel timing key,broken pick up for the flywheel,blocked exhaust?stator plug corrosion?Just a few things off the top to check.

+1
    Maybe the cranks out of phase?

+1
    I would check the woodruf key/flywheel key...

Sea Doo 951 Guessing game. Backfiring , wont run.

Edit, I missed where you stated it was running perfect for 2 hours

+1
    Broken Reed petal but more likely the Flywheel has moved on the crank snout
    If it is backfiring after running for 2 hrs ok, I would say its a timing issue

sounds to me that the timing is off some how like some of the others have suggested check the flywheel and stator and flywheel key, that's where i would start. I think the 00's had a smart throttle cable that could mess with your spark if the sensfor failed also, maybe worth checking.

To the Champions who guessed that it had Broken a woodruff key and that the Stator had moved, thankyou so much . You guessed correctly .

In all of my years of riding PWC’s , drowning them , jumping them and everything else you can do with them , I have never broken a woodruff key on the end of the crankshaft . But there is a first time for everything. I am thinking that during the rebuild I have somehow put in a cheap or weak woodruff key that was sent with the crank.

To everyone who guessed and made a comment , I thank you for your assistance. It is people like you all that make these forums great.

Thread Information