HELP looking to buy a spark, want to know more

thinking about buying a spark. probably the 90hp 3 up with all the possible extras.
    but 90hp is not enough for me, ill be using it mainly for wave jumping and tube/wakeboard towing and im an adrenaline junkie so no level of power is too much.

but I read that even with performance mods like exhaust, air filter wont make any difference unless the ECU is reflashed. which I priced at $350 for a flasher and $550 for flash credit.
    WTF? that's steep.

I would likely increase the compression ratio of the engine significantly and run high octane leaded race fuel like I do with all my engines.
    would i get more power from that or would the ECU pick up the extra torque and back the throttle off by itself?

also can the ECU be manually tuned, so i can use my very own custom fuel mapping and ignition mapping?

+1
    the best option is to buy the 60hp then do the Vtech tune works out same $$ as a 90hp

as for all the extras just more to go wrong I wouldn't get IBR VTS if you are going to wave jump its just not going to cut it IMO
    Never had IBR so don't miss it had VTS on my old 97XP still don't miss it. I had reverse on my Honda the only time I used it was to drive it onto to the trailer do miss that option.

Most of the other mods are for top end speed gain a few extra m/p bang for buck go the tune first
    I run octane leaded fuel 98 in my spark only with the tune no worries
    If you want speed get the turbo kit.

Yes you can do your own mapping with the tune I rather just use one made for me and have fun but if you like this option go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeh_24 View Post
    thinking about buying a spark. probably the 90hp 3 up with all the possible extras.
    but 90hp is not enough for me, ill be using it mainly for wave jumping and tube/wakeboard towing and im an adrenaline junkie so no level of power is too much.

but I read that even with performance mods like exhaust, air filter wont make any difference unless the ECU is reflashed. which I priced at $350 for a flasher and $550 for flash credit.
    WTF? that's steep.

I would likely increase the compression ratio of the engine significantly and run high octane leaded race fuel like I do with all my engines.
    would i get more power from that or would the ECU pick up the extra torque and back the throttle off by itself?

also can the ECU be manually tuned, so i can use my very own custom fuel mapping and ignition mapping?
    Last edited by xdrian; 10-05-2014 at 05:25 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    the best option is to buy the 60hp then do the Vtech tune works out same $$ as a 90hp

as for all the extras just more to go wrong I wouldn't get IBR VTS if you are going to wave jump its just not going to cut it IMO
    Never had IBR so don't miss it had VTS on my old 97XP still don't miss it. I had reverse on my Honda the only time I used it was to drive it onto to the trailer do miss that option.

Most of the other mods are for top end speed gain a few extra m/p bang for buck go the tune first
    I run octane leaded fuel 98 in my spark only with the tune no worries
    If you want speed get the turbo kit.

Yes you can do your own mapping with the tune I rather just use one made for me and have fun but if you like this option go for it.

WTF? that's steep.

I too opted for no ibr on mine for the same reason plus easier to work on things back there. jakeh...If you have the money and higher speeds are what you're really after...get the turbo.

And IMO..other than the turbo...the $1000's of dollars dudes are spending for all the mods don't seem worth the miniscule gains they have been reporting.

+1
    Welp time for me to make waves...No pun intended. I have iBR and its great, makes life much easier when docking, especially if it is a windy day. Will it break? Maybe, but that is what warranty is for. Will I be adding VTS? Hell yea! As for the mods yes they seem to be a waste unless you reflash like stated. But I would do the stainless wear ring. Guys seem to be having issues with the plastic one not lasting, so it is on my winter to-do list.

Yup just get a 60 base, VTech and then go from there as needed

+1
    FYI, you can not get the 3up without getting the 90hp.

+1

WTF? that's steep.

Well, to start with, have you ever tried a 90hp Spark? It will be plenty for towing tubes and wakeboards as it's not much more than half the weight compared to the larger force fed skis. It cannot compete with them when it comes to pure performance like acceleration and top speed but it's not ment to either. It makes up alot though when you take into account the price and handling.

Then I'm not sure what your expectations are when it comes to performance modifications. What improvements are you expecting to see from basic mods like exhaust and intake on a modern 4-stroke fuel injected engine without tuning the ECU? And when you talk about high compression mods you would need new pistons and/or head work and what cost are you seeing there compared to an ECU flash? And once again how would you really benefit from that higher compression without altering fuel and ignition timing?

If you are looking to make serious power in a Spark a turbo kit would probably be your best option but it will cost you. If you are looking for real NA power you would probably end up spending even more for less power. Since you need the rpm here you would need to do a lot of work on the complete engine all the way from the bottom end with forged parts, through the head with porting and a different cam, intake and exhaust and you still need to be able to tune the ECU since it's key for everything in a modern engine.

In the end, if you are looking for big power figures maybe a Spark isn't the best way to go. But if you do all the small things that is discussed here togheter with a good tune I think you would be quite impressed with what a Spark can do.

+1

WTF? that's steep.

if your looking at cutting costs down why dont you find out if someone in your area has got a flasher, that way you dont have to buy one and it will only cost you the tuning credit + what ever the person wants to charge for using the flasher( i charge beer )

I did mention in my first post that I intended on using my own custom maps. I can do the head machining myself, its what I do for a living. stronger engine parts will not be required as all engines are dialled back significantly from there max potential power. for example a 6.0L V6 can make 2500HP (ive seen it) yet you never see one on the streets because they just wont last long enough at that performance level.

I can get the spark engine to produce more power but my question is what is required to tune the ECU with custom maps (advanced ignition timing ect)
    I want to make my own maps. like I do will all my engines

+1
    Here the info I think you want to see on map editor

Thread Information