Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this DS bearing bad?

Hi Guys - New to PWC & Green Hulk. The information you guys provide has helped me a buy a 750SL at a decent price.

The seller said there was something wrong with the driveshaft, but was pretty sketchy on his rationale.

I pulled the pump & shaft today. The shaft splines look fine to me. The carrier bearing has a loose race inside it (see photo). Is this correct?

With the DS out, I ran it on the hose & it sounds strong.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearing 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	343548

Banned User
    +1
    That bearing needs to be installed properly. Where are the seals?

Thanks for the rply Bryan.

The seals are still pressed into the other side of the bearing assembly.

Can you give me any info on how to install it properly?

The grease fitting is missing, does that hold the race in place somehow?

+1
    There should be a seal on each side to capture the grease once injected through the zerk. Not sure on the bearing/bushing......

Got back into the garage & found the other seal stuck in the hose. I now see how the race is supposed to be pressed into the ID, but couldn't get it to compress so that it could be put back in place. I just ordered a used bearing from Ebay. Apparently, these are NLA new.

Thanks for your help!

Banned User
    +1
    I would still suggest replacing the seals on the unit you bought from Ebay.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
    ... found the other seal stuck in the hose. I now see how the race is supposed to be pressed into the ID, but couldn't get it to compress so that it could be put back in place.

I just ordered a used bearing from Ebay...
    I also suggest you rebuild whichever through-hull you decide to use.

Find a local machine shop or automotive shop that has a small press to insert the new bushings (these are not bearings).

You can buy generic replacement seals and bushings or genuine Polaris rebuild parts. Don't go too cheap on the seals if you buy generic.

It is important that the bushings not have any slop or play when riding on the driveshaft and that the seals actually keep the water out.

The driveshaft surface must not be damaged or have any grooves where the bushings and seals ride.

See my signature links for lots more info.

+1

Yes, it is bad

You don't need to buy another bearing carrier and even if you do, you would probably want to replace the seals on any used carrier you buy anyways. Weber Power has a very nice rebuild kit that includes bushings and seals, I highly recommend buying it. Unless you have the ability to secure the carrier tightly without deforming it and have tools appropriate to removal/installation of seals and bushings, it will not be easy to rebuild properly. Professional installation may be appropriate.

Got back into the garage & found the other seal stuck in the hose. I now see how the race is supposed to be pressed into the ID, but couldn't get it to compress so that it could be put back in place. I just ordered a used bearing from Ebay. Apparently, these are NLA new.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the top on Weber Power. Got kit ordered. Ebay is a done deal, now I have a spare .

I have a seal puller so I think I can fix it, will practice on the bad 1 first.

Edit: The bumper that is supposed to be in the PTO coupler was missing ( at least most of it).

So I think the driveshaft movement is the cause of the carrier bearing failure.

Talked to the guy at Weber, he said they bought the rights to the polaris pump.
    Last edited by JonJet; 10-06-2014 at 04:08 PM.

+1
    A spare is good, those bearing carriers take some abuse and should be serviced (removed, cleaned and inspected) probably once a season. (I don't know how many owners actually do that). Driveshaft bumpers have a tendency to stick in the coupler or impeller, if you don't see one, make sure it is actually missing. If you talked to who I hope you talked to at Weber Power, that gentlemen has probably forgotten more about Polaris PWC's than most people will ever know.

Thanks for the top on Weber Power. Got kit ordered. Ebay is a done deal, now I have a spare .

I have a seal puller so I think I can fix it, will practice on the bad 1 first.

Edit: The bumper that is supposed to be in the PTO coupler was missing ( at least most of it).

So I think the driveshaft movement is the cause of the carrier bearing failure.

Talked to the guy at Weber, he said they bought the rights to the polaris pump.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information