Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 951 bogging

+1

951 bogging

I rebuilt the carbs on a friends 00 GTX and set the low speed screws to 1 1/2 out. It now bogs on take off. I've tried adjusting it to help with the bogging but can't get rid of it. I recently put a new wear ring and rebuilt the jet pump so I know it's good there but this carb thing is getting me. I've read the stickys on carb tuning and it's sounding like maybe the pop off is wrong. It's a great ski but the throttle response at this point is aweful. I'm needing some advice on getting this thing set. Any help is greatly appreciated.

+1
    By bogging do you mean when you open the throttle it seems to cough and splutter and wont rev or it seems to die first then then revs ?

+1
    How was it before you rebuilt the carbs?

+1
    Before I rebuilt them, someone had made adjustments to compensate for insufficient fuel system. The fuel selector along with the rest of the fuel system was completed clogged up. By bogging I mean when you give it full throttle on take off it falls on its face then takes off.

+1
    You are now lean. Put it back to where you found the settings and make small adjustments to lean it out if need be. What you are reading in the book for settings does not work very well for 951s around here in Michigan and the person that last worked on those carbs may know more than you give him credit for.

i am a master sea doo tech and i have seen many with similar issues and it sounds to me that the fuel accelerator pump is not doing it's job, take a mirror and look down the throats of the carbs and squeeze the throttle and see if you see any fuel squirting, if not i'd check that.

+1
    If it ran "fine/ok" with the carb settings and then the carbs were rebuilt CORRECTLY and the needle settings were changed, the pumps were working and should still be working. The problem lies in what was changed-- needle settings...
    Last edited by jim; 10-07-2014 at 09:03 PM.

+1
    needles weren't replaced. just basic rebuild

+1
    Low speed needle settings, also known as Low speed adjusters-- you mention in post #4 that YOU set them to 1 1/2 turns out from the seated position. You changed them to that as you THINK that the carbs were adjusted to compensate for a clogged up fuel system. There is no need to replace those needle adjusters in a rebuild unless you damaged them some way.

Needles and seats along with spring pressure changes pop off pressure. If they are leaking, you will have a rich condition, not a lean condition as you are describing.

slow speed screws only affect from 1/4 throttle to about 3/4 throttle not the initial squeeze of the throttle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information