Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

The spark? Convience me it's worth it.

So let's say I get a base model At 5 grand before upgrades.

How stable is it and how does it ride in ruf conditions?

What will it cost to get the most out of it? I see people spend about a grand upgrading them.

What is its range or fuel economy?

What is its top speed when modified?

I have looked into this a bit. It seems a loaded new spark sells for about 7k. A base model is about 6k once upgraded.

I am almost done rebuilding a 04 polaris msx 150. And am spending about 7k. it has a 120+ mile range on 17 gallons, a top speed of 72mph (est) and is very stable in ruff conditions. Not to mention it is one of the best handeling skis ever made. It only weighs 200 lbs more than a spark and gets clost to the same fuel economy.

So I don't get what the deal is with the spark. For the price of a loaded spark I can have a lot more in a rebuilt ski or for another grand I can just get a full sized yamaha and the spark is not even close to the yamaha in quality.

Its smaller, lighter, and gets slightly better milage than a 150hp ski that is 200 lbs heavier and 10 years older. It also looks to be cheaply made but I have not riden one yet.

So what's the deal? Am I missing something? I like the idea of a smaller more affordable ski but this seems to be underpowered and not much cheaper than its slightly larger competition.

+1
    You are missing one major thing, there is no other ski on the market today that comes even close to the Spark in price. Comparing it to old used skis isnít really relevant since most people probably don't have the knowledge or patience to rebuild some old ski. Also a lot of people want the warranty and security that comes with a new ski.

Then I would think that you maybe think a bit too much of your old Polaris, 72mph seem very optimistic to me, my 215hp RXP could barely do 70mph but I have no experience with that ski so I cannot say anything really. But the same thing when it comes to fuel economy, I find it very hard to believe that a 10 year old, 150hp 2-stroke engine, could come even close to a Spark in fuel economy.

The Spark is built to be a simple, light and nimble ski to have a lot of fun with at a reasonable cost both investment and running wise. I have tried both the 60 and the 90hp versions, 2up and 3up, and they felt surprisingly solid both when it came to build quality and ride quality. I had no possibility to try them out in rough seas but the 90hp for sure didn't felt underpowered. Obviously it cannot compete with 200-300hp monsters when it comes to pure acceleration and top speed but luckily Seadoo realized that that is not all that riding a ski is about.

But itís true that the 5k 60hp 2up probably would end up costing a bit more since at least a flash tune is a minimum to have on them.

+1
    Yamaha has a ski that is priced at 8k and beats the fully loaded and upgraded spark in everything but fuel economy.

The warrantee is is a big one, I had not thought of that. Do they have a good warrantee?

The msx 150 is a 750cc turbo charged two cylinder 4-stroke. And my rebuilt engine is not stock It looks stock but it is not even close, bored to 850cc with all custom forged internals, and 6 pis extra boost. Should produce close to 200hp. I could rebuild one stock for much less. Yes it will do 70+ I promise you. The hull design is faster than most newer skis with the same power. It is 10 years old but the design is still current or ahead of newer pcw. The fuel economy of a 750cc 4stroke should be easy to spot And smaller than the rotax tripple 900.

I can see a market I suppose, if you only had 5k-6k to spend then the spark is great. I just dont see the point when people upgrade them? With the extra cost its almost as much as a bigger ski minus the 20 or 30 mph.

A new 90hp 3up is 7k plus 1k in upgrades. Total is 8k maybe more. Top speed is 55.
    A used seadoo 255 with under 100 hrs. Where I am is about 8k-9k. Top speed is 67 governed and compleetly stock. A friend just sold his fully rebuilt 80+mph doo for 9k.

I just look at the money spent to buy and upgrade a new spark and think bang for buck. Just get a totaly stock yamaha that goes 55mph for 8k, or a lightly used big ski.

Like I say I like the smaller ski idea. I want one myself but think i will wait for a used one to come along for cheap in a year or two. I want to see how this plastic hull holds up and if it can be repaired.

You just don't understand. I have a broken down msx 150, and there is no comparison. Ride a spark and you will understand. If you are looking for a stable barge that does well in chop, this is not for you. If you want descent performance with a fun factor that is unmatched, buy a spark. It's not for everyone.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    You just don't understand. I have a broken down msx 150, and there is no comparison. Ride a spark and you will understand. If you are looking for a stable barge that does well in chop, this is not for you. If you want descent performance with a fun factor that is unmatched, buy a spark. It's not for everyone.
    You havent seen what he is doing to his msx. I think it will run mid to high 60s easily. 72 may be optimistic but regardless he is going to have a fast ski. The msx is about 10 MPH faster than an identically powered RXP.

If you want small light and playful the Spark is where its at. Its not about top speed or cruising. The MSX is a great hull with enough horsepower in it. I have one with a triple piped 2 stroke in it. It hauls ass.

Lol, sounds like you have your mind made up. I wouldn't trust anything Polaris on the water. Rotax supercharged motors by the time you add up maintenance costs, lack of reliability rebuilding supercharger, fuel, that's when the spark shows what it is. The ACE motors have been doing very well in the sleds, and seem to have no issues so far in the spark. These motors are low output, low revving, run on regular 87 octane. Should last 100's of hours.

+1
    When there's a number of dudes who have/had the big badass skis that bought Sparks and say they barely even ride their big skis anymore or have even sold them for favor of the Spark...that speaks quite a bit. Obviously it isn't for everybody but it's worth trying to find out if it's for you. Maybe wait and see if Seadoo does a test ride event again next year and try one out.

+1
    I see everybody's points. They are good ones, and like I say i like small and zippy. You should see my 1981 toyota mini car.

I have not riden a spark but on the delta with more miles to cover than any lake or river I want to cruise at 45-50 not top out at that speed. Its an 80+ mile trip to san fran and the waters are not always nice.

I do want a ski more suited for jumping and playing. I would love one for my 50 foot chris craft. Much easier to hoist a 400 lb ski.

My polaris is no barge and will out handle any spark in any conditions. It to is a low rpm machine at 7800 rpm redline. It weighs 620 lbs dry., and for a 3 seater thats skinny. I am a week away from the water and have replaced every seal, bearing, oring........ for about the cost of the fully loaded spark.

I was just wondering about the craze and wondering why people get a spark then try to make it fast when its not a speed machine.

I can see the fuel savings over most all other skis and the weight savings must make for a fun wiry ride. I have no doubt they are a blast to ride.

I still want to know how the hull repairs when damaged.
    Last edited by hill160881; 10-07-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Spark in the Bay ? That i have to see!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultranutz View Post
    Spark in the Bay ? That i have to see!
    This was my thought as well.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information