Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Where to find stainless SC bolts

I recently had my supercharger rebuilt and would like to replace the 3 bolts that secure it to the engine with stainless bolts. The OEM Sea Doo bolts are part #420440277 - TORX FLANGED SCREW M6 X 35. The OEM bolt (2006+) requires either an 8mm socket or T30 male torx bit.....

Anyone know where I can find a replacement stainless steel bolt that fits? These bolts rust pretty bad and are easy to round off. I stripped the top bolt and had a hell of a time getting it out....I don't want to run into this same problem in the future.

+1
    Is there something special about the bolt? Haven't taken one off so wouldn't know but if there isn't then call a few local fastener stores, they should carry it.

+1
    I am consider changing the bolts as well. I don't see why they can't be changed to something more traditional. The only issue I can see is the bolt adjacent to the motor. I am not sure if there is enough room to get a standard hex head and wrench in there. Thinking maybe a flanged torx or allen head. Both can be a witch to remove if they strip though.

+1
    I got mine at the local Ace Hardware store, but here is a great source for all kinds of sizes and lengths.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex...m_x_1.0mm.aspx

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    I am consider changing the bolts as well. I don't see why they can't be changed to something more traditional. The only issue I can see is the bolt adjacent to the motor. I am not sure if there is enough room to get a standard hex head and wrench in there. Thinking maybe a flanged torx or allen head. Both can be a witch to remove if they strip though.

The top bolt on the SC is the problem.....the other 2 can be removed with an 8mm socket and come right out. The top bolt is in such a tight place that an 8mm box wrench is needed.....I rounded off the bolt trying to remove it and had to use a T30 male torx bit on a tiny ratchet....the problem is there is just not enough room to get in there. I want to use stainless bolts so they do not rust, which is the reason I rounded off the bolt using the 8mm box wrench.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I got mine at the local Ace Hardware store, but here is a great source for all kinds of sizes and lengths.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex...m_x_1.0mm.aspx

There's an Ace right up the road....I never tried looking there. That site looks great too. Thanks!

+1
    I found them at Ace. The heads are 10mm instead of 8mm but overall diameter is the same as the flange on the 8mm head of the OEM bolts. I'll feel better knowing they are stainless and I won't have issues removing them in the future.

Dont know what BRP was thinking in 2006 when they decided not to use stainless bolts on the engine. I hate working on 06's due to the number of rusted bolts due to salt water.

+1
    I have plenty of the stainless torx bolts at the shop if anyone needs replacements. The top torx bolt comes out easy using a 1/4" 12pt wrench.

+1
    The bolts on 06+ are M6 torx with 8mm hex head....it stripped using an 8mm box wrench due to rust from salt water....luckily I was able to use a T30 torx to remove it and boy was THAT fun...I had to grind down the bit to shorten it because there is very little clearance between the bolt and the motor....finally got it loosened and removed 1/8 turn at time LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information