Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thru hull exhaust on sportster

I am not aware of anyone on here that has a thru hull exhaust on a Sportster, but if you do where did you place the exhaust exit or where do you guys think would be an ideal spot to locate it?

Yuji put it on a challenger but not real sure where he installed it... I'm thinking of doing it though...

Are you going to make a custom piece or is the riva kit something that can be made to fit? I have never had a ski so I am not sure as to the difference in size for certain pieces.

Also, once I get the boat back from storage I was going to try something new with the exhaust pipe coming off of the manifold to the waterbox. Just using a mandrel bent piece in there w/o the cat. Anyone have any thoughts on that or experience modifying that piece?

Quote Originally Posted by somefun View Post
    Yuji put it on a challenger but not real sure where he installed it... I'm thinking of doing it though...
    Somefun, creator of the FASTEST SPEEDSTER IN THE WORLD, you'll be blowin flames out yer arse with straight pipes on that beast, and the phriggin Harbor Master'll hear ya cummin (and goin) fer miles!!

I'm going to remove the sound suppressor after the water box first and then I think I'm going to look for two extra water boxes that I can cut up and take out the baffles. Then give it a shot and let it rip to see how it is. Then if it's to loud I can put it back without the wife freaking out to bad!!!!!

It sounds awesome and isn't nearly as loud as the stock exhaust exit with the silencer removed (straight thru). I think the pump cavity causes an annoying resonant frequency.

Here are some before and after pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc03581.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	21318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc03655.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	21319  

Thats interesting, I def thought this would be louder than just removing the silencer. Is that mounted above or below the water line? It looks like its fully submerged there.

Yuji just so I get this right your saying that removing just the sound suppresser after the water box is louder than putting on the thru hull exhaust without the sound suppresser? Or using the tru hull with the sound suppresser?

Also can you post some of the plumbing photos of the pipe in the engine compartment??? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by somefun View Post
    Yuji just so I get this right your saying that removing just the sound suppresser after the water box is louder than putting on the thru hull exhaust without the sound suppresser? Or using the tru hull with the sound suppresser?

Also can you post some of the plumbing photos of the pipe in the engine compartment??? thanks
    I'd like to know the same thing also

When I removed the stock exhaust silencer and went with a straight thru pipe it was ungodly loud at 3-3500 rpm (last pic) This is why I opted for thru-hull exit. The thru hull exhaust is somewhat louder and much more aggressive sounding compared to stock but doesn't have that drone.

Unfortunately I didn't take pix inside the engine compartment after the thru-hull mod. The 1st pic was just before I got the cajonies to take a hole saw to my very expensive toy . I did take some of the exterior install, once I get the boat out of storage I'll snap some pictures of the exhuast interior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03575_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	21365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03642_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	21366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03651_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	21367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03654_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	21368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03647_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	21369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03402_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	21370  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information