Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Y2K GP1200r 0 compression on one cylinder

Ok so here's the deal. I picked up a 2000 1200r waverunner with 85 hours on it for $1400. When I test drove it the guy told me he was selling it cheap because it had a little bog to it and he didn't have the $ to get it worked on. I rode it, and it did bog if you hammer it but if you eased into the throttle it ran like the wind. 60mph with my new bride and I both on it! I assumed it just needed carbs rebuilt and it would be good, only 85 hours right? So I bought it with our wedding $ and got home with it to do a compression test and it has absolutely no compression on the first cylinder. Is that possible, 60mph with one blown cylinder? I thought my tester was screwing up but when it wouldn't even blow my thumb off the spark plug hole I knew I was screwed! Also, the surface of the piston looks a little pitted compared to the other ones (just looking through the spark plug hole) so I'm sure something has bounced around in there. I guess I'll start by asking if anyone has a link to a service manual for a 2000 GP1200r so I can get started. Also, is it worth fixing? If so, I have experience with 2stroke motors (raced dirt bikes) but I'm not a mechanic so I'll prob be posting a lot of questions and pics. I've noticed a lot of people have got a lot of help from this forum and I'm hoping it will save me as well.

+1
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. Congrats on your recent marriage. Now let's talk ski. @ $1400, you still have plenty of room to make some repairs and still have a very fast fun ski. Yes Houston, you have a problem! No compression in #1, is bad. 1st go on line down load the 1200 manual.... then pull the head off this reveal should help to give you a starting point. If only the first jug is messed up does not mean a complete top end rebuild right off. Take some notes & pics and report back to this forum ... plan on this being your winter project.

3. +1 by:

Thanks for the encouragement! This will be my winter project for sure. So just buy the service manual off amazon or something or is there a link to download it for free? I'm excited to get to work on this thing just to see what it will do on all 3 cylinders! Once I get the manual I'll tear it apart and probably have some interesting pic to share

+1
    Hey
    Check this pdf manual a fast search on google. if its help.
    http://www.865-customz.com/manuals/Y...%20GP1200R.pdf
    Good luck.
    Thanks
    Thomas Wester

Alright, I made some progress! It was kind of disheartening to find out its an SBT motor, at least it says SBT on the head. Also, it seems someone was fighting the sticky throttle problem I've read so much about with a couple springs which, from what I've read on this forum, is not the way to fix it. But anyways, here's some pics of the carnage. It was two pistons beat up but only 1 cylinder felt damaged (luckily the one I broke a head bolt off in). Prob need a new head? This is as far as I've gotten with my crappy tools. I'm get'n some better ones and I'll get it the rest of the way out a there and post more pics. Should I rebuild an SBT motor if that's what it is? With all this work and $ required I would like it to be reliable! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	344107Click image for larger version. 

Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	344108Click image for larger version. 

Views:	86 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	344109Click image for larger version. 

Views:	97 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	344110Click image for larger version. 

Views:	98 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	344111

Also, it has the cat removed but no D ring. It has the chip though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	72 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	344112  

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2k1200 View Post
    Alright, I made some progress! It was kind of disheartening to find out its an SBT motor, at least it says SBT on the head. Also, it seems someone was fighting the sticky throttle problem I've read so much about with a couple springs which, from what I've read on this forum, is not the way to fix it. But anyways, here's some pics of the carnage. It was two pistons beat up but only 1 cylinder felt damaged (luckily the one I broke a head bolt off in). Prob need a new head? This is as far as I've gotten with my crappy tools. I'm get'n some better ones and I'll get it the rest of the way out a there and post more pics. Should I rebuild an SBT motor if that's what it is? With all this work and $ required I would like it to be reliable! Click image for larger version. 

Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	344107Click image for larger version. 

Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	344108Click image for larger version. 

Views:	86 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	344109Click image for larger version. 

Views:	97 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	344110Click image for larger version. 

Views:	98 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	344111
    Hell, ship it off to SBT for a new one. Im not sure I would rebuild an SBT motor. They do some funny things when they rebuild their motors.

Reliability generally comes from keeping the carbs and fuel system maintained. I have an SBT motor in a Polaris and it runs great.

Is SBT the best non OEM rebuild? I've found a few places on the internet that are a little cheaper but have a 2 year warrantee rather than 1. Also, they provide all gaskets for re-installation and put your flywheel and coupler on the new motor.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2k1200 View Post
    Is SBT the best non OEM rebuild? I've found a few places on the internet that are a little cheaper but have a 2 year warrantee rather than 1. Also, they provide all gaskets for re-installation and put your flywheel and coupler on the new motor.

I wouldnt say they are the best. Just the biggest one in the game. Hopefully someone with more Yamaha knowledge than me can chime in and steer you the right way. With your current motor being an SBT rebuild, its unknown what they have done to the motor. Hopefully someone can chime in.

Does anyone have any feedback on pwcengine.com?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information