Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 1100 zxi problems

Purchased used 1100 zxi this season, first time out ran like a banshee...second day would not get over 10mph and/or 3k rpm! Shop guy gave me one step hotter plug...ran like a banshee again for 15-20 minutes, then same thing over again.
    Shop guy says "bad oil" so I drained, flushed, and replaced with quality oil; drained,treated and re-filled fuel; cleaned plugs...this time out no performance at all, 10 mph and 3k rpm right off the trailer...HELP!

+1
    Welcome aboard, dhendricks!

Is there water in New Mexico? Elephant Butte, I guess.

Are the spark plugs fouling? Are you idling a lot? At your elevation, the carbs need to be leaned a little or the plugs will foul. Could be other things, but if changing the plugs made an immediate difference, this would be my first guess.

Don't know about the 'bad oil', never heard that excuse before...

Yes Steve45, and lots more of the wet stuff since this monsoon season! The "shop guy" said that the plugs were fouled (of course, that's how he feeds his family!) and sold me one step hotter! No idling on this ride it wants to fly! Elevation should not affect it as it has lived here all it's life ( recent owner is hometown boy!) "bad oil" came from "shop guy"...said Walmart oil may have contaminates! (I have heard of people doing an LOF on their car, putting their used oil back in the new jug and returning it for a full refund!!) Can not find visually or in owner's manual where this ski is equipped with a secondary fuel filter/screen at the carb(s)...do you know of one?

+1
    Elevation is a big factor in setting up the carbs. I would guess that the original owner did it, but I don't know that.

Wal-Mart SuperTech oil isn't the best, but it will work fine. Only thing is that the engine will get more carbon deposits in it. Wal-Mart doesn't produce or package oil, it comes from an oil company. I believe SuperTech is packaged by Pennzoil, which is owned by Exxon, but I don't know for sure.

There is (or should be) an inline filter in the fuel line mounted on the right side of the hull, between the fuel tank and carburetor.

Yes, I found the inline fuel filter and replaced it, thinking it may be suspect. I can not find anything else that may contribute to this loss of power. This past weekend I removed, cleaned, and replaced the plugs again. The ski will "tach out" sitting on the trailer but will not get above 3k in the water, any more suggestions from anybody???

+1
    What it does on the trailer really doesn't count for much. Have YOU looked at the plugs? It sounds lean to me.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the pump..likely your first ride was on rusty bearings and the spark plug deal is a red herring.

I checked out Captain Pete's website, I think my best bet is to drag my skis to him and get expert help. After all, that is how he feeds his family!

+1
    Sounds like a good idea to me! Is that where you're located?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    As it turned out, the OP's ski arrived this week and the engine had zero compression on the center cylinder. Metal slush on the plug means a full rebuild.

My best guess is that the center piston had a stuck ring from sitting for a while and the first lake outing saw that ring break and start chewing up the bore.

Could have been detonation from restricted fuel flow.....

If I get bored this week ( not likely) I'd probe it a bit to see if there is a hole in the piston. It's a pretty big compromise as there isn't any air movement at all during the thumb over hole test.

Who's got a motor?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information