+1

Sealing up my electrical box

Just wondering what you folks recommend doing to seal up an electrical box? Just replaced my ignition coil and CDI box in my electrical box and want to make sure I never have to worry about them getting wet again. Would you coat the PCB board and connectors in dielectric grease, or spray them with conformal spray? Seems to me like spraying them would be the best, and then using some dielectric grease around where the two plastic halves split and then using large zip ties to lock the box? Or I could use some clear silicone caulk to seal up the two halves as well. Here is the silicone spray I already have, https://www.techspray.com/p-59-sr-si...l-coating.aspx

+1
    The first thing I would do is make sure all the original seals are present and in good shape. There should be an oring sealing the two halves of the box together, this needs to be in good shape and I normally do lightly coat the oring with grease for added sealing. Depending on the year of your PWC there will either be bolts holding the box together or large plastic snap tabs. I wouldn't think any large zip ties would be required. I don't think a large overall coating or spraying of the board would be appropriate but I would definitely apply dielectric grease to the individual terminals. Pretty sure Polaris did that from the factory anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    Just wondering what you folks recommend doing to seal up an electrical box? Just replaced my ignition coil and CDI box in my electrical box and want to make sure I never have to worry about them getting wet again. Would you coat the PCB board and connectors in dielectric grease, or spray them with conformal spray? Seems to me like spraying them would be the best, and then using some dielectric grease around where the two plastic halves split and then using large zip ties to lock the box? Or I could use some clear silicone caulk to seal up the two halves as well. Here is the silicone spray I already have, https://www.techspray.com/p-59-sr-si...l-coating.aspx

+1
    If it is a box that bolts together, it should have an oring. If it is the plastic snap-together type, there should be a flat rubber gasket around the perimeter of the box.

Nambucca Heads, NSW, Australia - GMT+10hrs
    I'm new to the forum, but may help if you provided some information about the model of the jet ski. I am currently repairing a 1994 Polaris SL750 and a 1994 SLT750. I also have a 1996 SLX without a motor but the electrical box in that is identical to the 1994's. These are assembled using 6 allen key bolts and sealed with a large o-ring. When I was tracking down an ignition problem with the SLT750 I found the o-ring was broken in multiple places. Not knowing how easy or hard it would be to remove all wiring, I went to auto shop and purchased a tube of Dow Corning 100% silicon rubber (black) and used it in place of the broken seal. This has a temperature range of -50c to +230c. Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but someone here will know better. Took photos of the box and there is grease on board and cable connections.. Provided a few photos showing exterior of electrical box, broken seal and grease inside the box. Hope this will assist in some way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	343849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	343850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1172.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	343851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	343852
    Last edited by Bushy260; 10-10-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added photos

+1
    Mine is a 2000 SLX 1200 with the plastic snap tabs. They don''t seem to hold it together worth a crap which is why large zip ties entered the discussion. I did not see any flat rubber gasket around the perimeter, but I can snap some pictures tomorrow. Luckily I didn't pay $500 for my CDI box, but if I needed to replace it again that's the price I'd be looking at so I'm a little paranoid about making sure no moisture enters the box.

Nambucca Heads, NSW, Australia - GMT+10hrs
    Have looked on site Polaris PWC Knowledge and using link to parts cross reference guide have expanded the electrical box section for the 2000 PWC SLX using this webpage link http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp and there should be a flat seal/gasket noted as: - SEAL, E-BOX Substituted by 2620120. If you don't have this seal, that might be why the clips aren't holding the box closed tightly. Hope this and the links provided help.

There is also an International SLX model as well, so using the Assemblies lin you can pick your correct model to expand Electrical Box link and view an exploded view of the box and get details of the gasket/seal required.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do ... the manual for 2000 PWCs is 313 pages in pdf... Cheers. Daryl.
    Last edited by K447; 10-12-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: change to assemblies link and two models of SLX

+1
    if you really worried about it, next to the clips, there are holes, that im sure you could put some bolts threw.

Thread Information