+1

Who has disassembled the stock intercooler?

Hey guys, while down the track it's my intention to hang on to this ski, and do reflash and a Fizzle, in the short term I'm going to stay within warranty until it gets some more hours, mainly concerned about the occasional can chain letting go... if there is a plus to this it is that the few cases we've heard about seem to happen early in its life!

Anyway, last mod left at this point is ribbon delete. Since we've also heard of a couple of the intercooler dividers coming loose, and without the ribbon that could jam in the throttle body, I thought I'd maybe fasten it in a bit more securely.

For anyone who has taken apart the stock intercooler, my question is: Does the mating surface between the pieces have one of those long, shaped o-rings in a machined groove and does it stretch during removal, making it über hard to get back in place? Forewarned is forearmed...

Tnx in advance.

chrs jc

+1
    Nothing to disassembling the cooler. Just remove the 6mm(10mm head) bolts and lift off the cover. I posted about the issue I had few months back. If the o-ring gives you any crap dab some super glue around it. Mine didn't fight me,stayed in place.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...HO+intercooler

+1
    You might not have to dissemble. You might can apply super glue to the divider via applying a drop on a long wire or screw driver and reach into the neck. If I were you...I'd open it and clean the areas on the rubber where they make contact to ensure a proper bond. That's what I did.

+1
    I'm wondering if you ran an aftermarket cooler and a stock ecu if yamaha would give you issues with warranty work? I'd like to do simple bolt on's. I plan on buying the extended warranty due to to fact of all of the rediculous issues these skis seem to be plauged with (this isn't the yamaha I'm use to...). Any insight?

+1
    Thanks Kidd, I'll probably do just as you suggest and disassemble while the manifold is off...

Hi LOB, we have three year Yamaha warranty over here, and I must say I've been very happy with service from dealer (well deserved plug for Excite Motorsports Penrith) and Yamaha Australia. I won't wait that long but nonetheless would be concerned that if a cam chain let go post any mods that increased boost significantly, or rpm, you might get some space cadet dealing with your case who claims that was the the cause... It's just too expensive a fix to take the chance.

They were outstanding about the paint peeling, and stumped up a fair bit of coin for a quality fix, but was clearly their problem, ski had not even been off the trailer!

+1
    Good pics SVHOK, man I'm losing it, forgot I'd actually posted in that thread!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zone5 View Post
    Thanks Kidd, I'll probably do just as you suggest and disassemble while the manifold is off...

Hi LOB, we have three year Yamaha warranty over here, and I must say I've been very happy with service from dealer (well deserved plug for Excite Motorsports Penrith) and Yamaha Australia. I won't wait that long but nonetheless would be concerned that if a cam chain let go post any mods that increased boost significantly, or rpm, you might get some space cadet dealing with your case who claims that was the the cause... It's just too expensive a fix to take the chance.

They were outstanding about the paint peeling, and stumped up a fair bit of coin for a quality fix, but was clearly their problem, ski had not even been off the trailer!
    I hear you. Mine is at the dealer now for the hull re-paint. There's a 14 FX Cruiser SVHO there that's been since July with a timing chain failure. Yamaha sent them a new head, but, alas, no block/rotating assembly. Apparently, yamaha is back ordered on that along all the bearings/ect. Interesting???...

I've got a garage and barn full of Yamaha powersports equipment. 2006 Apex, 2008 Phazer GT, 1996 Banshee, 2008 Grizzly, 2007 VX Crusier. The newest, and most expensive (2014 FX SVHO), is the only Yamaha that's been in for warranty work.... Just a little discerning...

+1
    Mmmmm, back ordered on block components, a sudden need perhaps?

Yeah, I loved the faith I had in the last two motors, I'll admit I'm a bit more nervous about this one... Mind you, I just got back from giving it an absolute hiding, so far so good...

+1
    If my 14 FZR makes it until the warranty expires(July) I'll probably replace the chain then.

Thread Information