2002 polaris virage txi 1200 drive shaft coupling hose

New here but not new to polaris. I am a little concerned about ficht but I think with the info on this site I can manage. I am looking at a 02 virage and someone has supposedly put a flywheel and a starter on it. I noticed one of the rear shaft hose clamps was missing and the hose actually turns with the engine and as you can imagine smells like burning rubber. The grease fitting is also missing and has slung out some grease. I think the hose should remain stationary like my other skis. Any one have any idea what has happened? The ski has 60 hours on it which is way less than my others which are approaching 200 hrs.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If I understand your description correctly the stubby thick hose section that holds the through-hull bearing in place is spinning with the driveshaft? This should not happen. My guess is either the driveshaft has seized with the through-hull bushing OR the plastic hull adapter behind the stubby nose section has come loose.

If the through-hull bearing assembly has seized onto the drive shaft then you may need to replace the driveshaft and rebuild or replace the through-hull appearing assembly. If it is badly seized you may need to lift the engine in order to slide the driveshaft forward and extract it from inside the hull along with the through-hull hardware.

Virage hulls have a plastic fitting that fits through the hull and is secured with a plastic nut inside the pump tunnel. Sometimes this becomes loose and leaks water into the hull.

Thank you and you did understand me perfectly. Since I have not bought this machine yet I will go check into it hopefully this week. I have looked at it twice and the guy really does not seem to know anything about this machine. He purchased it over a year ago and has not rode it yet. So far he does not seem to mind me poking around in the engine compartment. Cold compression on all cylinders was around 130. Done with two of the three spark plugs installed each time. After putting a booster pac on it started right up. It does have the start stop switch problem but right now I am more worried about this drive coupling. I will let you know and thanks again for responding.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kandn View Post
    Thank you and you did understand me perfectly. Since I have not bought this machine yet I will go check into it hopefully this week. I have looked at it twice and the guy really does not seem to know anything about this machine. He purchased it over a year ago and has not rode it yet. So far he does not seem to mind me poking around in the engine compartment. Cold compression on all cylinders was around 130. Done with two of the three spark plugs installed each time. After putting a booster pac on it started right up. It does have the start stop switch problem but right now I am more worried about this drive coupling. I will let you know and thanks again for responding.

In the whole scheme of things thats a pretty small and easily fixed issue. If you are able to do the repairs yourself, it should be pretty simple and straightforward.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kandn View Post
    Assume you need to replace the driveshaft and rebuild or replace the through-hull bearing assembly. And also replace the LR Start/Stop module.

Prices for all the above will vary depending on new vs. used and the source.

So far it all sounds straight forward to repair.

Assume you will also need to reinforce the fuel pressure regulator mounting, inside the fuel pump in the tank. No big expense, just something that needs to be done.

At some point the EMM computer module may need repair as it is common for certain internal electronic components to weaken with age. This is the most expensive single repair item, typically. Going rate is circa $400

Correct NGK spark plugs are a must. These engines like fresh spark plugs and require the specified PZFR6H part number, no substitutes.

Thanks. I may make him an offer this week. He is at $1250 with a galvanized single trailer. I have yet to give over 1500 each for my other skis and they were just carb cleaning. I always seem to find someone ready to get rid of one cheap at the end of our riding season and the polaris skis don't book for much down here. I don't feel like this guy is going to take much less. What do you think about his price?

Also I really appreciate the "to do list" and I will get back to you soon if I buy it. It should be a good winter project.

Banned User
    +1
    If its in nice shape and everything else checks out, I think its a good price.

Thread Information