Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 96 SLT 780 questions

Hi guys, new member here, been reading the last few days and apparently I have come to the right place. Recently purchased SLT 780, 155hrs, appears to have been well cared for and runs good. Some questions;T-stat. Read here and heard elsewhere to remove it. If I do this I would like convert to piss line(s) out the hull. What is the best configuration to do this? Remove cooling rail? Do you need some type of restriction in the line? One line or three?(2)Remove oil pump or not? (3) What else to replace for a boat of this vintage?(4) tuning-the boat runs pretty good now, good holeshot, 49mph on MFD but seems to fall off when holding at part [email protected] mph. Doesnt do this at WOT. Should I attempt carb adjustment? Thx

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCaprice View Post
    Hi guys, new member here, been reading the last few days and apparently I have come to the right place. Recently purchased SLT 780, 155hrs, appears to have been well cared for and runs good. Some questions;T-stat. Read here and heard elsewhere to remove it. If I do this I would like convert to piss line(s) out the hull. What is the best configuration to do this? Remove cooling rail? Do you need some type of restriction in the line? One line or three?(2)Remove oil pump or not? (3) What else to replace for a boat of this vintage?(4) tuning-the boat runs pretty good now, good holeshot, 49mph on MFD but seems to fall off when holding at part [email protected] mph. Doesnt do this at WOT. Should I attempt carb adjustment? Thx
    BB WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!!!

If you remove the thermostat, you don't need to add the pissers unless you want to. Once you remove the cooling bar and temp switch you will need to make sure you closely monitor the cooling system as you will lose the overheat monitoring system.
    It would probably be very wise to add a water strainer and valve if you chose to remove the cooling bar/w sensor.
    With the age and hours of the engine I would certainly change the oil pump or go pre-mix. It really depends on wether or not you want to pre-mix your fuel/oil with every outing or keep it very simple and just add oil to the reservoir and go ride.
    I'd be replaceing ALL of the fuel lines at this age as well as go through the carbs and fuel pump. Inspect the reeds while you have the carbs off and be sure to replace the pulse line to the fuel pump.
    I'm sure others will jump on in here with some GREAT advise.
    Good Luck with your new ride and let us know what you wind up doing.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Ph20 said it all, but I was told to change the fuel selector valve as well. And change the oil hoses if you keep the oil pump.

+1
    That jump at around the 35mph range is from the CDI. I believe SeaLion can chime on that one. That is on most Polaris in 96. It feels like your cruising or racing in that little area around 35mph. I still have my 96SLT 780 and love it. It is a good reliable boat. Easy to mod without getting into the engine and fun to ride. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Question T-stat

Hey, more t-stat questions. If I remove t-stat how will this affect flush procedure as the flush fitting is in cooling bar. Wouldnt the water just go right out the discharge hose? Could I put an automotive type flush fitting in water line in from jet pump and then temporarily pinch hose behind it to flush motor? This ski will see some salt use. Do I need to remove carbs to replace fuel lines? What gaskets will I need? Thx

+1
    One method is to get the flusk kit that fits into the pissers. You can also get the triple outlet flusher if you want.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You shouldn't need to remove the carbs, prob just remove the Flame arrestor. It's a little more of a PITA, but I remove the cooling hose from inside the hull and attach a garden hose to that. No problem without a Tstat.

+1
    Another good reason to install a strainer and shutoff valve!!!

Lightbulb what I`m gonna do....

Thanks for everybodys advice and heres my plan- decided to let Randy rebuild the carbs & set em up as I know then that they will be right. Ordered new fuel line from Mcmaster and will install that. Gonna do the strainer/shut-off valve as described somewhere else in this forum. I decided to add one "pisser" and plumb it into the cooling rail where the flush fitting goes and then flush ahead of new strainer assy. Havent decided to delete t-stat or not. What do ya think? Anything else? Is the fuel selector valve that big a problem?

+1
    Seems like a sound plan.
    The older valves were a bigger problem BUT for 26 bucks, it would be new on my ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information