Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 14.5 (twins) Vs Speedster 150

Hey guys,

I currently have a 2000 Challenger 14.5 with the twins and I am thinking of upgrading to the Speedster 150 with the 215....if anyone here has done a similar upgrade can they please comment and give me some comparison's between the boats....ie accel dif, top speed dif, gas milage dif...I am concerned that I will miss the power of the twins going down to a single engine.

Also, I love the spin outs that my current boat does, I have done some reading on here about the 150's spin out but can't get a good feeling for it.

thanks

Brian

Geez - tough call. The 2001 Challenger with twin 85s was my first boat and I absolutely loved it. But, the benefits in upgrading to new technology are hard to ignore. After new wear rings and Solas impellers (can't remember the pitch), the Challenger was gps'ing at 55 mph, and was sick out of the hole and in maneuverability. Two engines/pumps vs. one have got to have the advantage in hole-shooting and maneuvering such a light hull. One tank of fuel was always good for a day of play, and it was easy on the oil.

I guess the extra muscle of the new supercharged engine will have more to offer on the top end, but I can't see how the new speedster will handle better or pull harder out of a spin-out or tight turn. Self-contained cooling, 4 stroke, and just "newer" must be tempting.

I have not owned one of the twin engine boats but I had a friend that had one, and I rode it in a couple of times, and from my personal experience I would say the Speedster 150 with the 215 hp engine feels considerably faster. Granted this was not a back to back comparison and there could be alot of factors at play but I am extremely pleased with my Speedsters performance and I imagine you wont feel let down at all.

Not even close....

The twin engine 14.5 properly tuned will eat the 150. Top speed probably about the same. But the single pump 150 will never get a chance
    to run along side the twin, as the twin will be half a lake away by the time
    the 150 spools up.
    Having said that, the 150 would be smoother running and riding. If you
    are upgrading for performance, don't because you already have the quickest
    sea doo in that size range. And of course there is more to be had if you
    desire.

(The 150 doesn't need to "spool up"... supercharged, not turbocharged)

With just $600 in mods, my 150 leaps out of the hole so hard, it's a tad difficult to catch your breath until you let up or approach top speed. The 150 is basically a four place RXT with a stereo. I do agree that the older Sea-Doo boats are fun as hell, so fun, that there has been little improvement in that area, it's still fun as hell. I think the choice comes down to: are you worried about maintenance on what you have, and do you want that "new car" smell?

The 2000 Challenger must have been a successful boat, because they pretty much took that and called it the Sportster, and now the Speedster. The hull and layout look identical to be in so many ways. Though I do not believe that the 150 wouldn't have a chance against it (to the contrary), you basically have a Speedster now. If you're decently happy with it, it might be worth seeing if Sea-Doo ups the ante in the horsepower wars in '08.

-Scott

I am guessing paulie has never ridden in a 150 speedster scic if hes talking about spooling up, there is no way a twin is going to be half a lake away stock vs stock under any circumstances. I used to always try to race anyone I could find on my lake when I had my '99 GSXL (slightly modded) and I never once lost to one of the older twin engine boats, and my Speedster feels at least as fast as my ski did. I will go on the prowl for a twin the next time im out on the speedster to prove my point.

Smile My own experience

is all I can speak for. I have not ridden in a 215 sportster, but I have raced
    them in a 14.5 twin, bone stock. Hole shot is not close. My twin was just
    gone. I have run many a ski, and though they will catch a boat and pass it,
    out of the hole, the twin will take them.
    Are the 215hp sportsters faster that a 170hp twin 14.5? Maybe, but there
    is no way are they quicker from a dead stop.
    As far as the " feel of speed", it is just that. A few gps runs averaged will
    give you the facts. " Feel" is just way too subjective.

Ive asked around at my dealer.. They said the twin would be quicker out of the hole because it is less likely to cavitate, but the 215 would have it on the top end..

On a river (like the mississippi) its the top speed that counts when going down river for 3 miles strait..

maybe you raced a 155 speedster and thought it was a 215 Either way having ridden in both and my jetski I will only believe a 215 speedster getting beaten with my own eyes (past the breakin period of 10 hours of course, since computer retards timing), and I will be testing it for sure this weekend. I only say this because the acceleration of the 215 feels brutal with one person in it and I know my friends twin did not feel like that at all.

The 0-30 time on the the 215 speedster is only a few tenths behind the 430 speedster according to boattest. And from what I have been able to dig up searching the net everyone seems to feel the 215 speedster would easily beat the 170 twin, though granted I havent found any concrete numbers on the 170 twins acceleration.

Whereabouts do you live paulie, would be funny if we lived near each other and could race

on a somewhat related note I did race one of my friends lightly modded 2001 yamaha xlt1200 and just flat ran away from him, and continued to pull on the top, he had been talking smack about being able to beat these boats easily, I was actually as surprised as he was.

Quote Originally Posted by welterracer View Post
    Ive asked around at my dealer.. They said the twin would be quicker out of the hole because it is less likely to cavitate, but the 215 would have it on the top end..

On a river (like the mississippi) its the top speed that counts when going down river for 3 miles strait..
    I have only noticed cavitation affecting my acceleration with a full tank of gas or 1-2 more people in the boat, otherwise it just straight takes off, I could see the twin pulling easily if comparing loaded vs loaded, but with similar fuel and only the driver I just cant see the twin pulling.

It also seems to help and accelerate faster loaded if I dont just slam the throttle forward, though with just me it makes no difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information