Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Results after changing valves. * fixed*

Hi guys? Ok as some of you know I changed the valves to supertech valves at the weekend there. The ski ran 100% perfect before I started the strip down.

I took the head off, removed and fitted new valve oil stems, fitted and lapped in new valves, cleaned all face's, fitted new head gasket, new head bolts, new cam bolts. Torqued down to manual specs in correct order.
    it started up stright away and sounded really smooth!

I attempted to take it out tonight for a test run and it didn't go too well! Being new to this I went down to the ramp and it was really choppy! I struggled to get the ski off the trailer but when I did I jumped stright on and started it up as the choppy water was pushing it close to the rocks and shaw, so I turned around to head out to sea and as I got to around 3500rpm it was juddering and shaking the ski! And wasn't picking up any speed, I took it to around 4000-4500 but it just sounded worse! So I turned around as it was too choppy to really test it and struggled to put it back on the trailer! But when we Finally got the trailer out it was covered in seaweed! So not sure if seaweed got sucked in or weather it's something to do with the engine :/ I'll have to wait until it's light to have alook under.
    we got the trailer stuck so I pulled the van down the ramp not realizing the sand was over a foot deep! So the vsn got stuck and the tide was coming in quick! I had to radio the coast guard for help and after 3 police cars, 2 x coast guard cars and some sort of coast guard ambulance 4x4 truck turned up an hour later we where out! Ahhhh what a day!
    My own stupid fault, I should of never attempted to go out in water like that! And with a ramp covered in sand!

Lesson lernt!
    Last edited by Fosta; 10-17-2014 at 01:06 PM.

+1
    wtf? I'm hearing yakkety sax in the background while reading your story. Did you check your pump to see if you sucked in the garden?

+1
    pull your plugs and make sure none of em are covered in oil. Do a compression test and make sure you're in spec.

Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    pull your plugs and make sure none of em are covered in oil. Do a compression test and make sure you're in spec.
    Ok mate, I will check but I'm sure it all went smoothly. If that's not the case what else could cause problems like this?

Thanks jamie

Quote Originally Posted by toxicgun View Post
    wtf? I'm hearing yakkety sax in the background while reading your story. Did you check your pump to see if you sucked in the garden?

Sorry mate what do you mean? Did I check the pump to make sure if I could see anything stuck in there?
    If so then no not yet, I had a quick look but couldn't see much with it getting dark and I was more concentrated on get the ski and van to dry land.

Thanks

Ok I took alook at the impella, it has a bit of seaweed, black bin liner and what looks like fishing line caught on it. So I'm guessing that's my problem with the juddering ski. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	344207

Clean the Pump area Out & Re check your cylinder compression. You did not metion How secure you are that the Cam to Crank timing is correct?

Oh sorry joe, I locked the crank and camshaft with the locking tools, I then drew a line on the chain to the sprocket so I could line it back up exactly where it was. All faces where cleaned before fitting new headgasket and new camshaft and head bolts where fitted using the torque settings in the manual then finishing off with angle gauge.

+1
    so how bout that compression and those plugs?

I haven't had time to do a test or pull plugs mate, I just had a quick look under before I started work and seen there was seaweed, black bin bag, and what looked like fishing line wrapped around the impeller. I pulled the seaweed out but noticed the 2 bars going on the intake grate are snapped at one end!

To be honest Im thinking it's all that stuff caught on the impeller from a shallow start in water that was covered in seaweed and rubbish that got sucked up the minute I started the ski up. I could be wrong though! It still could be the engine but we did take our time on the engine to make sure everything was clean, all new parts, and torque settings where met and everything was lubed up with either white grease or engine assembly lube. Timing tools where purchased and used and we even marked up the camshaft sprocket and timing chain to make sure it went back exactly the way it came off! The new valves where lapped in on a 20hr engine.

Im thinking of cleaning out the impeller then taking it for a test run when the sea is more calm then if the problem has gone then I know that was my problem. If I still have a shaky , juddering ski that will rev up but won't build speed then I will check compression before proceeding to change out the impeller and warering. ( by rev up I only revved it to around 4000rpm as it was shaking and not building speed so didn't want to throttle up any more, I'm sure at around 4000rpm I should of been seeing around 20-25mph but it was only felt like it was doing around 10mph and it was shaking).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information