Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ski hasn't been started in 2 months

Ok, have been doing some reading about winterization. Now my question is this, can you damage a ski by letting it sit for 2 months without being started. Unfortunately, job commitments have keep me from riding my jetski and actually not evening starting it. I know I probably should have sprayed some fogging oil into the cylinders, but did not. I know I have had some atv's sit longer than this without damage. Also, ski only has 5.6 hours on it and before I winterize it, do you think I need to change the oil? I am think I should, since its a new engine and with the break-in, but know its not at the recommended 10hrs. Just wanted to get so insight on this.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    It's fine. you can pull the plugs and spin it a few times if want, but really you should be able to fire it up, let it warm up and your good to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
    I know I have had some atv's sit longer than this without damage. .
    Atv`s are either air cooled, or closed loop cooling. Skis are open loop cooling. There is no comperison regaurding the causes and effects of moisture between the 2.

+1
    So, do you think I will be ok starting the ski now? I thought I would have the opportunity to ride again, but I work just kept me from it.

+1
    Well the sooner the better that is for sure. 4strokes are not affected as bad as the smokers, as your crank is in an oil bath I would think you are fine. Not starting it is not going to change anything. If you are really concerned and want to know for sure, pull the plugs and see if there is any moisture on them. I know nothing about your ski, however if it is easy enough to get your hand on the driveshaft or coupler try spinning it with the plugs out. Could also just push down on one of the pistons with something that is not going to leave a mark(assuming you can get to the piston through the head, again i know nothing about your ski/engine). Dont need to move it much, you are just wanting to see if the rings are sticking at all. Regaurdless of either of these ideas, getting it started and lubed up is the best thing you can do. Condinsationis isn't going to cause the rings to leave any marks on the walls in such a short time imho.

+1
    What do you think about the hours on the ski and changing the oil. Ski is brand new still (5.6hrs). Think I should just go ahead and change it before winter storage?

+1
    I would follow break in procedure to the letter. The is a reason for it. You could change it now if you want to, but it should be changed again at 10 hours.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    I would follow break in procedure to the letter. The is a reason for it. You could change it now if you want to, but it should be changed again at 10 hours.
    What??????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    What??????
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
    . Also, ski only has 5.6 hours on it and before I winterize it, do you think I need to change the oil? I am think I should, since its a new engine and with the break-in, but know its not at the recommended 10hrs. Just wanted to get so insight on this.
    I would follow break in procedure to the letter. The is a reason for it. You could change it now if you want to,
    Last edited by Echo; 10-17-2014 at 11:29 PM.

+1
    Don't overthink it. Start it, ride it and got your money's worth out of it!

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information