Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Angry 27 yr old killed while tubing (jetski accident)

Hey everyone, I haven't been online & barely on the forums for many reasons. Let's just say, I barely have time to even sleep. However this story that happened yesterday I had to post simply to let out my frustrations. These are the kind of people that give us riders a horrible name. Jetskis are looked at as the most horrific watercrafts here in Miami, this will only make matters worst. Take a look...

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (WSVN) -- Miami-Dade Police arrested a suspect who fled the scene after striking and killing another person with his Honda jet ski.
    The Coast Guard captured Harry Palma after he fled the scene, and the Miami-Dade Police Department began their search for him. After the Coast Guard found him at the ramp loading his jetski onto his trailer, they turned him over to MDPD.
    The victim, 27-year-old Abiel Gonzalez, died from his injuries as paramedics transported him to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
    Police say Palma knocked Gonzalez unconscious while another jet ski pulled Gonzalez in an inner tube through the water & get this,
    According to Jorge Pino from the Florida Wildlife Commission, the suspect was ticketed 2 hours earlier for driving erratically through the bay.

I had to let you guys see what we deal with here in Miami. We usually get a few jetski accidents a year that piss off the local Marine Patrol & POLICE Dept. If ppl continue to eat $h!t on their waverunners here, we'll probably be banned. In the 90's they banned waverunners form the bay for about 2 years. We had no where to ride. These kinda ppl tick me off.
    Last edited by MikeTrin; 04-09-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: moved to news section, thank you for the post!!!

That is absolutley HORRIBLE. I hope he gets put away for 20+.

+1
    This is exactly why there should be a mandatory boaters safety course to operate a PWC, boat, etc. I would GLADLY sit through it to keep people from getting hurt and giving PWC a bad name. The course might keep some people from buying them and it would educate the unknowing. It is OUR job to keep them from banning PWC everywhere. It is not just PWC's that need the class, everyone that operates any motorized craft should be required to take the class.

Angry

I totally agree with Jeff here.It is a random few who give us all a bad rap.This guy should be hung by his huevos!

+1
    Damn that sucks!

Florida has got to be the jetski capital of the world with all the great warm water but the rental industry and newbies without the requirement of safety courses always makes for haters and accidents. You should have to have a boaters license regardless of you age. Renters should be limited to a closed area unless the rider has a license. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    This is exactly why there should be a mandatory boaters safety course to operate a PWC, boat, etc. I would GLADLY sit through it to keep people from getting hurt and giving PWC a bad name. The course might keep some people from buying them and it would educate the unknowing. It is OUR job to keep them from banning PWC everywhere. It is not just PWC's that need the class, everyone that operates any motorized craft should be required to take the class.

I agree, mostly. People that own boats and other watercraft such as PWC need to take a class. You will see newbies at the lakes close to town all the time. Sometimes they will be doing stupid things that could hurt others, other times they are doing stupid things that hurts them selves or their property. Mostly they need class to learn how to act correctly on the water.

People that rent jetskis should get a mini class of some sort and very strict rules. I have friends with boats and jet skis and we let our friends, that we think are responsible, ride ours. I am very on edge with new riders riding my stuff but I usually tell them to keep close so I can keep an eye out. I also set the throttle to not go WOT.

If we made everyone have a license yes it would be safer. But it would cause hurt in the rental business and wouldn't be as fun as the lake, ie letting ride your ski.

I think there is a good median though!! Everyone that buys a boat or ski NEEDS a boating safety course.

I don't get how anyone can spend time on a ski wihtout taking the boaters safety course. Here in Va it is not mandatory if you're over 16 but it is in MD. If I had never taken the course I would not have a clue what most signs on the water mean and the restrictions when being close to a craft or shore. This accident is an obvious case of people not following the rule stating how close you can be to another moving craft. I guess some have to learn the hard way and the rest of us have to suffer for what these idiots do, this obviously does not compare to what the families of these victims suffer at the hands of these morons.

I have never taken a course my self but I have been around boats since I was born. Was learning how to ski by 5 or 6 and slamoning by 8 or 9 years old. Had a jet ski since I was 15 and now I am almost 22. It is because of my dad and his friends that I know the rules of the lake.

+1
    I will tell you whats really stupid in my opinion, is that in the state of TX if you get a ticket on the water you have to attend the boaters safety course. The only person that I know that has had to take it said that he learned a lot, and he is not a stupid individual. Why not just go ahead and require it before you get on the water to keep stupid accidents from happening, plus it would put some more money in the states pocket to maintain boat ramps, parks, etc.

By the way, he got a ticket for being above idle within 50 feet of me when I fell off of a knee board in the middle of the lake on Memorial Day weekend. I had told him that if I fell, he had better get between me and any boat aroud me so I wouldnt get hit. He was probably 35 foot away from me doing 10 MPH when the Game Warden flaged him to the boat ramp. The stupid Game Warden wouldnt even let me get in the boat before he went to the ramp.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information