Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MikeR397's 2014 Seadoo RXPX and review

I am new to jetski ownership after moving to an inland lake this spring. I purchased a pair of Kawasaki 250x skis and put about 40 hours on each this summer. They were a blast, but I was looking for a diversity of ride and found a fantastic end of season deal on a new 2014 Seadoo RXPX with rebates and a 4 year warranty and pulled the trigger. I couldn't be happier with the Seadoo!

The RXPX, while only a few horsepower more powerful on paper than the 250x skis, is an entirely different animal in acceleration and top speed. Out of the hole is dramatically stronger and more responsive and true to manufacturer spec, stock top speed is 67.5mph on gps (the gauge says 69mph at 8040rpm for what it's worth), compared to my 250x ski's which could barely break 60mph with me riding (I am 6'6'' and 265lbs though so not the lightest rider). I'm at 6 hours now on the RXPX by the way, so it's mostly broken in.

Then you get to the turning which is out of this world and something I never thought possible on the water. The narrow sport seat is a huge improvement and the key to taking advantage of the deep V T3 hull to really rip turns. I actually made myself nauseous pulling so many horizontal g's the first couple times out. The agility of the RXPX is what makes it such a blast and so much more enjoyable than any other ski I've ridden (including the 2014 SVHO which is the fastest ski at 71+ mph stock with me on it, but I don't fit well on the tiered seat and that creates a nervous ride feel and difficulty taking aggressive turns). The PX in comparison lets you lock in your legs and turn on a dime. I couldn't be more impressed with the handling, truly.

I'm a huge fan of the electronic trim on the RXPX too, as directing the nozzle all the way down (all the way up on the trim bar) allows the ski to literally launch out of the water from stand still, especially when standing / weight on the back. It's a riot to launch straight up, splash down, and do it again hopping wake. My 250x's feel dead in this regard. The SVHO could do mostly the same with it's electronic trim though. Also, the braking feature on the Seadoo is cool and really works. It shoots a 25ft splash of water straight up behind the ski when dropping the bucket and definitely stops the ski around 1/3 faster than without such feature.

I think my only complaint is that I have to hold sport and then press sport again every single time I start the ski. What a dumb setting, as if Seadoo thinks most people buy their most aggressive ski wanting to use it most of the time in eco or normal modes which are soooo much more sluggish than in sport. I know a tune can fix this issue.

I'm not sure what I want to do with mods yet and am open to suggestions. I've got a 4 year warranty which is a pretty nice value addition to this ski and prefer not to void it if possible given I was stung right after buying a 250x with a blown supercharger that was $2.2k to replace. I'm open to spending ~$1500-$2500 if there are true noticeable gains (not just top speed but hole shot and mid range power), but am not sure it's possible to do a 8350 tune and not void the warranty, even if you flash back to stock. From what I've read, the 8350 tune is a safe level for the engine and not going to cause failures more rapidly by itself, but if something does happen the dealer will/may deny warranty coverage.

I'm planning to sell both 250x skis and likely to pick up a 310x SE to accompany the RXPX as well. I loved the SVHO but like I said the seat fit with it's rider position pronounced tiers made it an uncomfortable and nervous ride, even though it's the fastest stock ski. It looks like the 310x will do 67 stock like the RXPX, but a SCOM will get it to 70-71 for only $200 and not void the warranty. It can also be flashed for $700 to 73mph and only has a 1 year warranty that would be voided, so perhaps I'll tune the 310 and leave the Seadoo stock.

Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions about mods on the RXPX.

A few pics I took yesterday. Despite living in Michigan, I've got a drysuit and plan to ride year round. It's fantastic to have the entire lake to myself!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7372.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	344385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7378.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	344386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7391.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	344387  

+1
    im a sucker for that color!

+1
    Congrats on your new ski...you hit all the check marks in what makes these T3 skis amazing. Trust me, I was a couch hater after SD stopped making the '98-'04 XPL/XP (my fav handling hull). These T3's hulls is why I came back to riding <strike>couches</strike>...ahemmm, sitdowns (besides getting tired of hurting myself while riding standups over the years).

If you don't have an azzhole dealer, doing a tune and 4" air won't void warranty and will put you at a reliable 72-74. If you only do a tune, the only way a dealer can tell its not 100% stock is looking at the max RPM history within BUDS. Like I said, a dealer would really want to go out of their way to void your warranty. The only time I can see a red flag (debate) issue is if the flywheel bots let go or drop a valve (retainer). They could use that as an exit plan....maybe.

As for the 1000lb Kawi, just be prepared because they guzzle gas like a Saudi prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    im a sucker for that color!
    Red, yellow or pink, I'm a sucker for the hull! But yes, the red trim is bad ass

+1
    what lake were the pictures taken on? I'm in Grandville.

+1
    just a vtech re-flash will make a big improvement
    spin that motor to 8300+ will really wake it up
    you do not want water freezing in the exhaust or intercooler
    so you may want to re-think the all winter garbage

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    Maybe because I'm a Florida native but anyone that rides a PWC in water that can freeze in the exhaust, they have serious mental issues

But I know darn well what riding in COLD means...come this February, it should be in the low 50's (air) and no way I'm riding in mid 60 degree water (/sarcasm)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Maybe because I'm a Florida native but anyone that rides a PWC in water that can freeze in the exhaust, they have serious mental issues

But I know darn well what riding in COLD means...come this February, it should be in the low 50's (air) and no way I'm riding in mid 60 degree water (/sarcasm)
    Burr....60f weather, makes me cold just thinking about.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post

i've rode when the snow is flying cold air make more HP

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by idoodou View Post
    i've rode when the snow is flying cold air make more HP
    Correction. Cool air makes HP. Riding a PWC while snowing makes madness

Banned User
    +1
    I ride all the time in the cold. In fact i prefer it to summer riding a lot of times. Think about having a whole body of water all to yourself. I plan to keep riding until the launch ramps are frozen in. If you store your ski in a place that stays above freezing you should be fine

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information