+1

Driveshaft thru hull fitting taking on water

So my 2010 RXT X 260 with 56 hrs was taking on water so I dropped it off at dealer he told me my driveshaft was gone thousand dollars to replace it should I have heard or felt any indication that it was going than called him a couple days later he said it was back together and he put it in the water and it was still taking on water then he told me it was another $550 because the thru hull fitting was cracked can anybody give me any input where to go from here so I was thinking like he should've found that problem out when he had the driveshaft out and fixed it than thanks

This is just a guess here but I'm thinking there was nothing wrong with the driveshaft and he charged you $1000 for it as he miss judged the fault then found the actual fault that was the cracked through hull fitting! Then knew he had to now charge for that.

Don't hokd me on that but it just sounds like things I've heard garages say over the years with faults on cars etc, as I'm in the motor trade we see and here a lot of excuses because the garages did not find the correct fault and just use your wallet as a "process of emination" when they don't actually know what the problems are them selfs.

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you need a new shop for sure.

$500 to replace a thru hull when the shaft had already been out?...You shouldn't pay dime one for a bad diagnosis

in a word

RIPOFF

the biggest ticket driveshaft job I ever did involved an old 4-tec that needed a later model pump ( due to discontinuation) AND a new driveshaft, collar and seal.

The entire job came in under $1000 if memory serves me correctly. It was a Seadoo pump assembly, not aftermarket.

Get a price from another dealer on labor to replace a thru hull..that's what you should be paying..not double the labor because some "tech" made the assumption....

Without a water tank, you are always guessing where a leak is really coming from.....

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    i'd tell him to eat shit on the driveshaft

6. +1 by:

+1
    Walk in dont call, and request the old parts.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosta View Post

just use your wallet as a "process of emination" .

I am so using that......lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    So my 2010 RXT X 260 with 56 hrs was taking on water so I dropped it off at dealer he told me my driveshaft was gone thousand dollars to replace it should I have heard or felt any indication that it was going than called him a couple days later he said it was back together and he put it in the water and it was still taking on water then he told me it was another $550 because the thru hull fitting was cracked can anybody give me any input where to go from here so I was thinking like he should've found that problem out when he had the driveshaft out and fixed it than thanks
    1. Screw in drive shafts on the 2010 model are known to fail. Make sure they replaced it with the 2011 c-clip style drive shaft. If BRP & shop gave a shit about the customer they would repair this under warranty due to the poor manufacturing of the original drive shaft.

2. As stated above they should have checked the plastic thru hull fitting when they made the original repairs. Plastic thru hull fitting cost peanuts. It's the labor they are getting you for now that they have to go back in a second time.

3. Purchase a Shop Manual. If you are mechanically inclined you can make repairs yourself.

4. Water can also enter thru the plastic IBR fittings located on the side of the tunnel. Rubber grommets fail usually from over tightening. You can check this by tilting the ski back and filling the hull with water. You will see water leak out the back.

5. Access panels also allow water to enter. This is normal.

+1
    Ditto on what Gladrider said. I cracked my thru hull when I was doing alignment. Its not too hard to do just need to make sure you have it centered. Like said earlier, I think they are like $30 for the part.

+1
    I guess you didn't believe me on what I already told you about this subject, huh?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Have you already had the drive shaft replacement to the newer style? Seems like I remember mine going out about 56hrs on my 2010TX260. I didn't take any water on though. Your getting screwed...sorry!

Thread Information