Thread: Clear coat

+1

Clear coat

Okay I have an 07 rxp now for a rebuild and it was oxidized. Got most of it off except for of course it doesn't shine... Any way to to do a clear coat? Or just leave it as is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	344524

+1
    Theirs no clear coat on these machines. Just buff, polish and wax that baby and it'll probably come out nice. Gelcoat is pretty easy to work with. I used 3m perfect it products on my xp with a wool pad on an electric variable speed buffer and it turned out like new.

Edit: here's a youtube video showing kinda how it works. This is not my video btw.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnummmmmmmmmm View Post
    Theirs no clear coat on these machines. Just buff, polish and wax that baby and it'll probably come out nice. Gelcoat is pretty easy to work with. I used 3m perfect it products on my xp with a wool pad on an electric variable speed buffer and it turned out like new.

Edit: here's a youtube video showing kinda how it works. This is not my video btw.
    Yeah I got the black shining but the red doesn't want to

+1
    What compounds you using? Also did you have to wet sand?

+1
    I used the regular mcguires polishing compound after wet sanding with 2000 grit. Then waxed it. Still can't get it like what's under the stickers. Not sure how well it's going to get

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by achavanne3 View Post
    I used the regular mcguires polishing compound after wet sanding with 2000 grit. Then waxed it. Still can't get it like what's under the stickers. Not sure how well it's going to get
    It may be that the polishing compound is too fine a cut to get through the grain left by sanding without taking forever. Maybe do a buffing compound first then finish with a polishing compound. Btw I'm no expert on this subject, I just spent all winter last year restoring one of my XPs so I've been down this road once and only once. But I did finally find a compound that worked with the pad I was using. It yielded good results in the end. First I buffed the whole ski with some kind of presto compound. And it looked great til I wiped the ski down for wax and it looked like shit again. So I started from scratch with 3m perfect it and it looked great. And still does.

+1
    It may be that the polishing compound is too fine a cut to get through the grain left by sanding without taking forever. Maybe do a buffing compound first then finish with a polishing compound. Btw I'm no expert on this subject, I just spent all winter last year restoring one of my XPs so I've been down this road once and only once. But I did finally find a compound that worked with the pad I was using. It yielded good results in the end. First I buffed the whole ski with some kind of presto compound. And it looked great til I wiped the ski down for wax and it looked like shit again. So I started from scratch with 3m perfect it and it looked great. And still does.
    Okay cool. There's bad oxidation around the feet pads too, need to find a way to get that out.. Also, how many times is enough buffing? I don't want to remove too much of the gel coat, but I guess if I want it to look like new..

+1
    Okay cool. There's bad oxidation around the feet pads too, need to find a way to get that out.. Also, how many times is enough buffing? I don't want to remove too much of the gel coat, but I guess if I want it to look like new..
    i think I went over mine a total of 3 times.

+1
    Jet-Renu...

Link

Thread Information