+1

2015 Pro Watercross Tour Loses Colonial Beach, Virginia Stop

Sorry to start your week with some bad news, but regulars of the Pro Watercross Tour will be sad to learn that fan and racer-favorite, Colonial Beach, Virginia, will be missing from 2015’s National Tour. The location of the Liberty Cup, Colonial Beach has historically played a significant part in the year-long points race, with the shoreline location providing a perfect backdrop as the nation’s best contend for National Championships.

Unfortunately, money was the “driving factor” for the Colonial Beach Chamber of Commerce’s decision to discontinue hosting the Pro Watercross National Tour race. According to an interview with Chamber President Carey Geddes by local outlet The Journal, “during the first three years of the event, the chamber lost roughly $7,000 per year – in 2014, the group lost $9,000.”

The post 2015 Pro Watercross Tour Loses Colonial Beach, Virginia Stop appeared first on The Watercraft Journal.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 10-20-2014 at 07:15 AM.

+1
    Yep so this on FB,this was the most Northeast big Sanctioned racing event,other than Reg. 8 racing up in New England..

Was hoping someday that Mikey Young would have brought the HydroDrags there for an Event or the Organizers of AquaX would have put a show on the Huge Potomac River...

Disappointment for many racers I'm sure...

+1
    Well, now that the HydroDrags have switched hands for 2015, new venues for the Drags will likely be slim.

+1
    Got to love greed!!!!! Takes more money and promotes even less, but wants to GROW the sport huh????

+1
    As a Volunteer, personally, I'm a little enthusiastic about the possibility of racing coming back to Tennessee.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    As a Volunteer, personally, I'm a little enthusiastic about the possibility of racing coming back to Tennessee.

But Where??? Nashville Shores owners want nothing to do with PWC racing...Unless it has changed owners yet again????

+1
    I understood Nashville Shores changed hands only a couple of years ago. And people's minds can always be changed.

Personally, I have to give AJ a little bit of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the Colonial Beach breakdown. I don't think it was outward greed, but struggling to make some type of profit in a facet of the industry that is simply losing money. Racing is expensive, and frankly, it doesn't generate much revenue, particularly when you factor in staffing, insurance, licensing, permits, promotion, traveling and hoping to walk away with enough cash to grab a sandwich.

Everybody hates on AJ, Ross and even Frazier for being greedy, money grubbing misers. I don't because these men are only some of the very few willing to put the time and effort in to executing pretty enjoyable events. Putting on a race is a big project, wouldn't you want to be compensated for your efforts?

+1
    I'm kinda curious to see where they are going instead. Please keep us posted!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    I understood Nashville Shores changed hands only a couple of years ago. And people's minds can always be changed.

Personally, I have to give AJ a little bit of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the Colonial Beach breakdown. I don't think it was outward greed, but struggling to make some type of profit in a facet of the industry that is simply losing money. Racing is expensive, and frankly, it doesn't generate much revenue, particularly when you factor in staffing, insurance, licensing, permits, promotion, traveling and hoping to walk away with enough cash to grab a sandwich.

Everybody hates on AJ, Ross and even Frazier for being greedy, money grubbing misers. I don't because these men are only some of the very few willing to put the time and effort in to executing pretty enjoyable events. Putting on a race is a big project, wouldn't you want to be compensated for your efforts?
    I have no problem with someone wanting to make a living and your right, it is hard work putting on an event dealing with the traveling water bike circus BUT when you want more and promote less there is a problem.

Take WV this year for example. Several of the Pros were eating in town at a 5 Guys Burgers and the people there asked what the wrist bands were for. When the racers explained what was going on, the locals said they had no idea that the event was in town and just a few blocks away from that restaurant... The Frames have even said that a few years ago when this location was new there were flyers, billboards, and radio spots for the event, Now no one knows about it?????? Hmmmmmmm...

Thread Information