Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Need help from Apple Guru's

Here is my question and some history to this request.

I have severallllllll Gopro videos stored to external drive... I download them off the SD cards from the Gopro everytime I come in from my Seadoo riding so Ican keep it open and clear to use.. They will vary from 15-30 minutes long.
    I have IMovie on my iPad , but cannot download the videos from the PC back external drive to my Apple IPad..
    Keep in mind, the seagate external drive ic PC programming...

How can I get the videos off or transferred to the Apple iPad so I can put some awesome vids together with some great music and then I can upload them to UTube and Greenhulk?

I am beggining to think that I am going to have to buy a PC backed computer to accomplish this..

I have looked at Utube tutorial about it and seen to to hit road blocks all the time.

HELP.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    DG

+1
    lets start with the basics... are you using a PC or mac as your computer? i know you are using a PC based external but you said you think you might have to buy a PC backed computer..

thinking out loud.. and follow me here and its been a while since ive messed with any apple products...

you could use an SD card reader instead if the external drive
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-camera-reader
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...connection-kit

or what i would try is connecting your ipad to your computer but do not go through itunes. see if it comes up as a media device like you are going to pull all your photos off. if it does you should be able to see where videos are stored and copy them over. now if imovie will see them i dont know.

on a side note if you have no downloaded gopro studio do so.. its very straight forward and easy to use. its the only thing ive use to edit my files. you can snag more templates or use blank ones but it gives ya everything you could want short of professional software.
    http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp...ro-Studio.html

+1
    Chances are your Seagate was formatted in NTSF...pull off all your files to somewhere elese and reformat it to FAT32 according to this.http://www.pcworld.com/article/25043..._and_a_pc.html

That also says a Mac running Snow Leopard OS will read PC formatted drives.

This is from the Seagte site...maybe it can help.
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/article...S/FAQ/191171en

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid chicken View Post
    lets start with the basics... are you using a PC or mac as your computer? i know you are using a PC based external but you said you think you might have to buy a PC backed computer..

thinking out loud.. and follow me here and its been a while since ive messed with any apple products...

you could use an SD card reader instead if the external drive
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-camera-reader
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...connection-kit

or what i would try is connecting your ipad to your computer but do not go through itunes. see if it comes up as a media device like you are going to pull all your photos off. if it does you should be able to see where videos are stored and copy them over. now if imovie will see them i dont know.

on a side note if you have no downloaded gopro studio do so.. its very straight forward and easy to use. its the only thing ive use to edit my files. you can snag more templates or use blank ones but it gives ya everything you could want short of professional software.
    http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp...ro-Studio.html
    Ipad is being used wholly.... The wife has a Mac and it is full of librarian stuff and cannot use it... I have a PC at work but blocked on pretty much everything. So I am screwed on that part..
    I have not downloaded studio yet on the GP black yet... My Gen2 is getting about full.. But willing to try so I can post some videos.
    BTW: I have the connections already. But all the vids are on the SG now and not on the SD card in the GP. My mistake on not downloading them to the iPad 1st... Crap!!!
    Last edited by DPG98GSXL; 10-20-2014 at 09:01 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Chances are your Seagate was formatted in NTSF...pull off all your files to somewhere elese and reformat it to FAT32 according to this.http://www.pcworld.com/article/25043..._and_a_pc.html

That also says a Mac running Snow Leopard OS will read PC formatted drives.

This is from the Seagte site...maybe it can help.
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/article...S/FAQ/191171en
    I have extra thumb drives at work and can transfer the GP videos to it... Really want to hold as much as possible on the seagate drives...
    The PCworld says on windows 7 operating system.... Wonder if windows 8 would do the same?

Thanks
    DG
    Last edited by DPG98GSXL; 10-20-2014 at 08:54 PM.

+1
    How did you get the movies from the SD card to the external hard drive? Typically, you can not plug in an external hard drive that was used on a PC to a Mac and vice versa, but you can use a flash drive between the two. So you can store all your movies on the external hard drive but when you need to move the movies from one computer to another, use a flash drive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    How did you get the movies from the SD card to the external hard drive? Typically, you can not plug in an external hard drive that was used on a PC to a Mac and vice versa, but you can use a flash drive between the two. So you can store all your movies on the external hard drive but when you need to move the movies from one computer to another, use a flash drive.
    Hey Mike:
    Gopro hooked to work PC... External drive hooked to PC.... Just transferred the videos..

DG

+1
    The iPad doesn't have enough storage capacity to hold or read the SG drive is what I think the problem is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DPG98GSXL View Post

I have severallllllll Gopro videos stored to external drive... I download them off the SD cards from the Gopro everytime I come in from my Seadoo riding so Ican keep it open and clear to use.. They will vary from 15-30 minutes long.
    I have IMovie on my iPad , but cannot download the videos from the PC back external drive to my Apple IPad..

How can I get the videos off or transferred to the Apple iPad so I can put some awesome vids together with some great music and then I can upload them to UTube and Greenhulk?
    My Apple iMac and my Apple Macbook Pro laptop both have a slot designed to accept an SDHC card, so when I shoot, the card goes right into the computer, easy. Never tried heavy movie editing on the iPad but you might be able to use the Cloud, not sure. Some of the Apple programs can now be run right off the Cloud, and your video could in theory be stored there also.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 10-21-2014 at 05:48 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DPG98GSXL View Post

My Apple iMmac and my Apple Macbook Pro laptop both have a slot designed to accept an SDHC card, so when I shoot, the card goes right into the computer, easy. Never tried heavy movie editing on the iPad but you might be able to use the Cloud, not sure. Some of the Apple programs can now be run right off the Cloud, and your video could in theory be stored there also.
    You're right...Adobe actually just recently came out with a 'cloud' app thingamajig for editing video on iphones/ipads.

Link to actual Apple app.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information