Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3-4 months old Ultra 310x going in for ECU replacement, do I take full service?

Hi, I bought a Kawasaki Ultra 310x this summer, around July/August. It has about 13 hours of use now.
    I'm going in to the workshop to change the ecu(top speed issue), and the workshop recomends me to take full service with oil, filters and plugs. He guessed it would be around 1300 $. I think that's seems a bit overkill after just a few months? Norway is expensive by the way, that's the reason for the insane price.

If I was just storing it through the winter it would make sense to do the full service and everything before winter storage. But as I want to use it a bit through out the winter, I think it seems like a better idea to just do the ecu and a quick check of the jetski and then take full service next year, before the real season starts and it's alomst 1 year old.

Any thoughts? Am i being cheap? How long did you use it before your first oil change and full service? I was thinking 1 year would be ok, not 3-4 months.

By the way, how can i use it through the winter? Do I drain the system for water or do I use some kind of anti freeze after I've run it? Both?

+1
    1300$ include the ECU?

Otherwise hell NO!

3. +1 by:

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I thought Kawasaki was replacing ECU's under warranty????

Maybe thats $198 usd

I did my first oil (NON Synthetic 10W-40) and filter at 1 hr after a hard break in. Oil was pretty dirty and had a lot of gas in it. Second change at 5 hrs, oil only, slight discoloration and hardly any smell of gasoline, if any. Next change at 15 hrs and every 15 from then on, with filter every second change. This may seem extreme but these engines really need clean, clean oil.
    You must change as soon as you can, as the first oil takes a real beating and WILL be full of metal particles and gas from bedding the piston rings and valves in.
    Change the oil yourself with a little motorcycle oil pump and buy filters on line. Here in the UK that cost $50 for the pump, $35 for the oil change (I use MOTUL 5000) and $12 for the filter.
    I know Norway is expensive but $1300 for a servic is crazy, as I assume the ECU is under warranty.

PS I am SOOOOOOOOOO jealous, Norway lakes and fjords must be incredible on a jet ski, can I come visit with my 310 SE?
    PLEASE!!!!!

7. +1 by:

Oh and if you flush the engine and blip the throttle on a slope to clear the waterbox/exhaust you should be okay with the frost. To be certain you need to have a salt away like sytem on your hose and add some anti freeze to your flush. Just don't flush with clean water afterwards. Also important is to get the antifreeze into the intercooler system as I'm not sure how much remains in the pipe work after flushing.

Good luck and here's a link to salt away so you can see the set up, but I'm sure a good garden center will sell a similar delivery system for feeding plants which should work just as well!

www.salt-away.co.uk/productinfo.htm or this http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Solubl.../dp/B000XTK92W

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thamule View Post
    Hi, I bought a Kawasaki Ultra 310x this summer, around July/August. It has about 13 hours of use now.
    I'm going in to the workshop to change the ecu(top speed issue), and the workshop recomends me to take full service with oil, filters and plugs. He guessed it would be around 1300 $. I think that's seems a bit overkill after just a few months? Norway is expensive by the way, that's the reason for the insane price.

If I was just storing it through the winter it would make sense to do the full service and everything before winter storage. But as I want to use it a bit through out the winter, I think it seems like a better idea to just do the ecu and a quick check of the jetski and then take full service next year, before the real season starts and it's alomst 1 year old.

Any thoughts? Am i being cheap? How long did you use it before your first oil change and full service? I was thinking 1 year would be ok, not 3-4 months.

By the way, how can i use it through the winter? Do I drain the system for water or do I use some kind of anti freeze after I've run it? Both?
    ------------------------
    The main asset IMO concerning this Bulletin Board is to "learn by reading" and inquiring by posting to receive answers from from those "more experienced" members. This will ultimately make you more knowledgeable about your new Kawasaki that you recently purchased - but will also allow you to conduct simple Maintenance Tasks yourself - should you so choose to do so - and ultimately keep more money in your pocket to spend on "go-fast" goodies if you so aspire.

I recommend that you procure an oil suction device (50 usd) to suck out the engine oil - namely this one here works perfect:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2061303

I then recommend that you purchase 5 quarts of Kawasaki (10 w 40) Engine Oil (20 usd) - or whatever oil you wish to run that meets the specifications defined in your Owner's Manual - Valvoline, Shell, Castrol, Pennzoil, Yukoil - whatever suits you.

I then recommend that you procure a new Oil Filter for your ski - I prefer the OEM Kawasaki Filter (10 usd) - yet you may choose another brand - the part number is clearly defined in your Owner's Manual:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-PACK-OF-5-KAWASAKI-JETSKI-ULTRA-LX-GENUINE-OIL-FILTERS-16097-0004-/400370632452?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash =item5d37f30704&vxp=mtr

Your spark plugs are Iridium and should last up to and beyond 100 hours. Simply remove them - being careful as they are "tempermental" - clean them with an old tooth brush and sole acetone or other solvent, add some Cu Based Anti-sieze to the threads, and re-install accordingly.

Have your ECU replaced FOC under Warranty.

Total Outlay < 100 usd.

With the money you save - you can buy some Engine Spray:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluid-Film-Spray-11-3-4-oz-Aerosol-Can-/271284287392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f29cd b7a0

In addition to some Fogging Oil:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Stor-Rite-Engine-Fogging-Oil-/121184371593?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem1c3726c389&vxp=mtr

Plus a whole mess of other goodies to make you go-faster:

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...x&cPath=17_177

Lastly, concerning winterizing - you can learn about that by reading the many threads posted here in this Forum.

Good Luck !!!

10. +1 by:

Thank you ver much for all good replies.

Unfortunately the price quote is correct. It is about half a days work to dimantle everyhting below the water line and inspect and so on I was told by the workshop. The ECU is a warranty job yes, not being charged for that.

What I think I'll do is to order what's been suggested here and change oil and inspect spark plugs myself. But this one time I will have them change the ecu and a quick check of everything at the stern. I think my nozzle feel to loose, it can be moved up and down very much when the scooter is switched of, I also have a "rattle" sound when I pull the throttle a bit when the scooter is on the trailer. Sounds like something is loose. Do you guys have that sound? So I'll have them inspect that and then maybe I'll do the oil change myself I think.

Driving it around the fjords in Norway is awesome! I love my jetski! And thanks for the tips about below 0 precautions

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    The first service should be no more than $300 usd, Its an oil change and check/inspect bolt, nuts, clamps, fitting, belt.....etc..... nothing really to disassemble unless there is a problem and if there is a problem then it should be covered by warranty....think your shop is trying to screw you...

13. +1 by:

+1
    It is about half a days work to dismantle everything below the water line and inspect and so on I was told by the workshop.
    --------------------------------
    There REALLY isn't anything to "dismantle" below the water line - except for the pump assembly - and I believe the manual states to inspect at 25 hours - yet there is rarely anything associated with the jet pump assembly that needs maintenance until ~ 100 hours.

I also have a "rattle" sound when I pull the throttle a bit when the scooter is on the trailer. Sounds like something is loose. Do you guys have that sound?
    --------------------------
    Probably just the Factory applied grease on the pump shaft splines has worn off. Not an issue at all - just like you said - noisy annoying "rattle" at an idle while out of the water. Wait till you service your pump - or even do it yourself over the winter in your garage. It's not "Rocket Science" to work on your own PWC - and this BB is like having a bunch of "Technical Experts" right at your fingertips (keyboard).

That annoying rattle is easily solved by applying some high quality Marine Grease on the shaft splines. Reference:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2281529

Most importantly - have fun on your new machine, ride that thing, read this Forum, read your Owner's Manual, Procure a Service Manual - and learn about your 300+ HP new Kawasaki

Good Luck !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information