Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha fx sho servicing

Can somebody guide in to a thread of how is the best to service a yamaha fx sho 2008 model. I m looking to do all the work myself like i did on my old xl1200. Thanks guys for your help and guidance. The ski has 40hrs. What should i check? And what should i lubricate?

+1
    Not much difference. Just now you change the oil and filter.

Today i tried to remove jet pump to check splines condition but it seems to be seized inside. Any help??

+1
    Are you sure it's not sealant on the housing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthn View Post
    Today i tried to remove jet pump to check splines condition but it seems to be seized inside. Any help??
    You don't need to check the splines as part of regular maintenance as far as I am concerned on the SHO. There are pry tabs on the side of the pump you can use a screw driver to pry the pump loose and then pull it out.

Since i just bought it and we use it in salt water it s better to take off the shaft and grease the splines.

+1
    You don't need to pull the shaft and grease the splines just because you ride it in salt. Just hit 2 squirts of marine grease in the grease fitting up top, change oil, filter, plugs, check air filter and call it a day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    You don't need to pull the shaft and grease the splines just because you ride it in salt. Just hit 2 squirts of marine grease in the grease fitting up top, change oil, filter, plugs, check air filter and call it a day.
    Agreed on the spline comment. However, you should grease the intermediate housing SLOWLY and using very little grease or else you will blow out the seal. I usually do one full pump each year and then use my fingers to squeeze the tube so it spreads out. I also only recommend doing this while the engine is running so that the pressure is more evenly distributed on the seal and lessens the chance of it blowing out. Just my opinion, never had an issue on my skis doing this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Agreed on the spline comment. However, you should grease the intermediate housing SLOWLY and using very little grease or else you will blow out the seal. I usually do one full pump each year and then use my fingers to squeeze the tube so it spreads out. I also only recommend doing this while the engine is running so that the pressure is more evenly distributed on the seal and lessens the chance of it blowing out. Just my opinion, never had an issue on my skis doing this.
    Good advice.

I m sure you re more experienced than i am but just to add another question. As far as i know when greasing the coupler housing you will not be greasing the splines of the shafts. Also there are only 2 o rings keeping the water out of the splines, there the water that manages to go inside where the splines are will eventually evaporate becoming just salt. I already had to change both shafts in my xl1200 due to the fact that the coupler shaft (female shaft) was poorly greased or never at all and the splines eventually sheared. Beleive it or not i had a hole about size 20mm inside the aluminium housing from corrosion. Can u beleive that? A 20mm hole that was once a solid part of aluminium some 25mm thick!!! When i saw what salt water can do to splines and couplers i made it as a general rule to grease the splines once a year. Even the local jetski dealership, they recommend this to be done each year. And it s only hard the first time, once you do it for the first time than u find everything as it should, and it would be an hour job. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information