Thread: Intake grate.

Intake grate.

Hi guys, as some of you know I found my intake grate was snapped so I purchased a solas intake grate.

Now with a bit of heat and taking it slowly I've managed to take out the bolts from the old grate.
    Im still waiting for my new one coming but I've orderd it from the usa and I'm from the uk so it will take a few weeks to arrive.

I still havnt managed to water test my ski after changing out the valves for a set of supertech valves so my question is:
    can I ride with the intake grate removed? Would this cause a problem? I'm only wanting to test it for around 15minutes just to make sure all is good.
    My ski is a Seadoo 2004 Gtx limited.

Thanks jamie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosta View Post
    Hi guys, as some of you know I found my intake grate was snapped so I purchased a solas intake grate.

Now with a bit of heat and taking it slowly I've managed to take out the bolts from the old grate.
    Im still waiting for my new one coming but I've orderd it from the usa and I'm from the uk so it will take a few weeks to arrive.

I still havnt managed to water test my ski after changing out the valves for a set of supertech valves so my question is:
    can I ride with the intake grate removed? Would this cause a problem? I'm only wanting to test it for around 15minutes just to make sure all is good.

Thanks jamie
    Don't do this! The ski will buck with no grate. Ask me how I know.

+1
    i rode without a grate on my 99 GTXL while waiting on a new one. The ski would slide really bad if i wasnt careful.

honestly id recommend wait for the new grate just to be safe.

+1
    No grate no ride

It's a bad idea because you will break the pump shoe without the intake grate installed.

Ok thanks guys I will wait for the new one then

Quote Originally Posted by Glade Rider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosta View Post

Thanks jamie
    Don't do this! The ski will buck with no grate. Ask me how I know.
    what do you mean buck!?

I I went to take mine out In very choppy water a few weeks back and the ski was juddering/ shaking!
    So I put it straight back on the trailer to find there was a black bin bag, fishing line and seaweed caught on my impella and I found my intake grate was broken also!

I know the rubbish caught on my impella would cause it to shake but would a smashed intake grate also cause this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXP6 View Post
    It's a bad idea because you will break the pump shoe without the intake grate installed.
    What's the pump shoe mate?

Sorry for the noob question.
    And thanks I'll take your advice and not ride until my new grate comes

+1
    pump shoe is the plastic water scoop in the tunnel that the pump and intake grate bolt to
    so if you brake it you will have to remove the ride plate and every thing off the back of the ski
    its a real POS job

Thread Information