Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

stuck pistons in a 800 motor remedy

I just got a motor from a 1996 seadoo gsx. The pistons are stuck jn the cylinder since it stood for a long while. There is no rust on the spark plugs so there is still hope that mabye only a topend swap is its remedy. Now I have heard so many ways to loose the pistons, from pouring brake fluid to diesel fuel and just plain wd40. What is the best to loosen up the pistons. I assume I got to tap them out anyway. Anyone with this experience let me know.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    I'm certain it wasn't stored properly and water was left in the water box, my best guess is the crank bearnings are pitted and if you get it running I bet it won't last long. Jmo.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I was able to free up the pistons on a donated ski of the same type with wd-40 and lots of pb blast..took some time and I beat on the pistons for a bit and I was able to get the engine started( generous applications of my patented formula of all the crap I have laying around the shop to lube the crank bearings.

results may vary, but I got away clean on this one. Compression 125/125.

I am going to pull it apart to put some new rings in just in case, I will look a gift horse in the mouth to see if he's a nibbler or not.

This ski has a ride plate I'm not familiar with..has mini skegs on it!..two of em!

I don't recall ever seeing these before

As results will vary, you would likely need to replace the crank if there was any signs of rust on the crank when you pull the jugs off.

I might have gotten very lucky..but I somehow doubt the motor will run more then 25 hours, even with new rings before one of the crank bearings fails..and that's only because the ski had 150 hours on the clock

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    I'm certain it wasn't stored properly and water was left in the water box, my best guess is the crank bearnings are pitted and if you get it running I bet it won't last long. Jmo.
    Actually to my surprise, the crank looks to be in great shape. It just got stuck on the rings. Even the cylinders are in great shape other then the stuck pistons. I wanna put a new crank in it just for be on the safe side, but it looks great. It has an R&D head and flamearrestors on the carbs. I got it dirt cheap so it will be a nice project to work on.

+1
    I would also throw in a mix of purpleblast wd 40 and wd 40 rust desolver.. and start tapping it with a hammer and a peace of wood and or cloth
    have seen people storing seadoo 's for a long period with out properly washing and flushing.. and getting it working again with a hammer wd40 and purpleblast and starting pilot haha!

Greatings from Bonaire

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spacerrr View Post
    I would also throw in a mix of purpleblast wd 40 and wd 40 rust desolver.. and start tapping it with a hammer and a peace of wood and or cloth
    have seen people storing seadoo 's for a long period with out properly washing and flushing.. and getting it working again with a hammer wd40 and purpleblast and starting pilot haha!

Greatings from Bonaire
    Thx for the tip. Y saludos pa bo tambe desde Aruba.

+1
    I heard of stuck pistons losening up with marvel mystery oil. It's a lube but dissolves rust too. Pour a ton into each cylinder and let it sit for a month. Then try to crank the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alostaunau View Post
    I heard of stuck pistons losening up with marvel mystery oil. It's a lube but dissolves rust too. Pour a ton into each cylinder and let it sit for a month. Then try to crank the engine.
    I heard a lot about that marvel mystry oil, but I'm from Aruba. They don't sell it here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alostaunau View Post
    I heard a lot about that marvel mystry oil, but I'm from Aruba. They don't sell it here.
    Can you mail order?

+1
    Well guy I manage to get everything loose. Surprise surprise, Even the pistons are in great shape. It just got stuck on a ring, replaced the ring and all is well. I honed the cylinders and assembled everything back. Got perfect compression. The crankshaft is like new. Now its ready to go in my 96 XP. Ready to assemble another engine I got for the GSX. Some wrap kits and a new seatcover and it will run nice for the kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information