Wave Venture Performance 1100

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and PWC in general. I recently bought a 1997 wave venture with 58 hours at a great price($1k with trailer) that needed carb rebuilt and fuel pump replaced. Once I did that the wave venture ran pretty good. While rebuilding the carbs I did remove the chokes and increased the jets 1 size (both low and high). I will still need to do a bit of tuning but the season is over in OHIO (36 deg F this morning). While in the off season I would like to improve the wave venture a little bit for more power and speed. Here is what I have so far. Please advise on what you think I should get next.
    • Rebuild carbs with choke plates removed and tuned for it (still needs a bit of fine tuning)
    • Tiny Tach to track RPM.
    • Pro-Tec ride plate (not installed yet)
    • Solas Prop currently at Impros to be serviced and re-pitched (13/19?)
    • R&D Plenum flame arrestor.
    I am thinking I want to send my heads to Group K to be milled and possibly call it the day but am I missing anything that is a great bang for my buck that would make a significant difference?

Thanks in advance

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by trasti View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and PWC in general. I recently bought a 1997 wave venture with 58 hours at a great price($1k with trailer) that needed carb rebuilt and fuel pump replaced. Once I did that the wave venture ran pretty good. While rebuilding the carbs I did remove the chokes and increased the jets 1 size (both low and high). I will still need to do a bit of tuning but the season is over in OHIO (36 deg F this morning). While in the off season I would like to improve the wave venture a little bit for more power and speed. Here is what I have so far. Please advise on what you think I should get next.
    • Rebuild carbs with choke plates removed and tuned for it (still needs a bit of fine tuning)
    • Tiny Tach to track RPM.
    • Pro-Tec ride plate (not installed yet)
    • Solas Prop currently at Impros to be serviced and re-pitched (13/19?)
    • R&D Plenum flame arrestor.
    I am thinking I want to send my heads to Group K to be milled and possibly call it the day but am I missing anything that is a great bang for my buck that would make a significant difference?

Thanks in advance
    Hey there trasti..

First order of business, Welcome aboard the forum..

Sounds like you got a great score on the Venture. 1K for a low hour running ski on a trailer. = DEAL..!!

Now then you have outlined the basics that are best addressed first.
    --- (you've either done your research well OR this isn't your first go around with jetski's)

Absolutely rebuilding the carbs would be my number one suggestion. (well, right after the compression checked out OK.!)
    - Safe to assume you have installed a primer kit.? (as the 63m/65u motor is notoriously difficult to start with the choke if left for even a short period of time)

Number two on the list is get a decent tach.. (which you got covered. the better option would be the tiny tach commercial version,. though at $60+ it's hardly cheap. A pet dx2100 is the ideal choice but again at $200ish NOT cheap, these two are the "better" choice because of their faster update speed and max RPM recall facility)
    - Get yourself a handheld GPS as that is also a good tuning tool.

Not sure what the ride plate will do for this particular model.? though in my experience an aftermarket ride plate rarely makes things worse.
    - not sure if this model would benefit from a scoop style intake grate.??

As for your prop...
    - 13~19 might be a touch on the too steep side.? (is it a concord.? think you'll be ok if it is.?)

The R&D flame arrestor is a decent choice for the 63m/65u motor.

I think you may have come in a little bit "heavy" with your jetting.. ?
    - (maybe one of the 1100 raider guys can advise you on jetting specs with yours mods. not 100% confident offering advice on the 38mm carbs.)

Sending the head off for some work is a sound idea.. ( there is no need to go crazy with the compression on the 63m/65u motor 150 psi would be plenty)

the best bang for your buck on this motor is getting some porting work done without question.
    Added with a mild bump in compression and some carb rejetting really brings the 63m/65u motor alive
    - (when you see just how shoddy the factory port work is you'd wonder how it runs at all.?)

Finally, it might be a good idea is to go premix if you haven't already..
    Last edited by quadzilla; 10-24-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: mixed up my carbs

+1
    The 1100 is pretty peppy, but there isn't much that can be done (price vs performance payback for the ventures. I own two, a 700 and a 760. My 760 raider flat outperforms both ventures all day. Best money is freshen up, update oil lines, and enjoy. You can wrap up a fortune getting the venture to perform, and you won't see big performance gains.

How much of a bump in power will I notice with Group K milled heads to 150 psi?

Thread Information