Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Parting out jet skis

I have notice a tend here as well on other sites, that more and more jet skis are be " parted out". Some boats are running and compete, and are being sold for donor skis for stand up conversions. My question is if this continues will the aftermarket suppliers want to spend the time and money to provide parts if there will be a limited market ? I have seen at least 2 running Pro 785's " parted out ". The more that are parted out the less boats will be running and will need parts in the future from the aftermarket ?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    At some point the profit leaves a specific part, then no more of that part gets made..then the supply of that part dries up and demand is there again.

FAR more cash in parting out a ski then selling it complete..nothing new there.

A fellow showed up this season with an totally mint Polaris ski..unfortunate as in his hurry, he connected the battery backwards and smoked the harness from one end to the other. Machines got parted. He couldn't do the repair work himself and I wasn't giving him the "big money" he thought it was worth before I gave him a price on the stator and wiring repairs.

Couldn't sell it whole for what he wanted since it needed work..but he made a small fortune selling the cosmetic parts he could pull off on ebay (that he could do).

A few skis being parted isn't killing the market. Folks profiteering and getting people off a brand has done more to hurt Polaris then anything anybody could have done.

Still a great ski..with a colorful history.

Down the road a few more years spotting a running Polaris ski will be akin to parking next to an Elva automobile.

I actually had the pleasure of doing that last week at breakfast..but not realizing what it was( thought I was an old kit car body for an mg), I neglected to take any snapshots

Banned User
    +1
    The problem with parting out Polaris skis, is that there are far more used parts out there than people looking for them. Ignition systems used to be gold, but SBT got in the market and the supply is now plentiful again. I don't think the after market will stop making most parts. Piston kits, gaskets and electrics will always be in demand as far as I would guess. There is still plenty available new from Polaris as well.

+1
    What confuses me are the prices they put on the polaris weber 4 stroke used engines. None of them are worth more than 600 bucks as they all need rebuilt. But you see people saying 110 compression and only 32 hours like that is a selling point while asking a grand and more. Saw one with 82 hours and 140 compression asking 2200 bucks. Lol.

Its frustrating when when you want a build engine and people are asking so much you could get a whole ski.

I paid 3k for two msx150 and a tandom axl trailer and one of the skis ran For 100 hours.

+1
    You need to assume you need to re-nickasil or resleave any Weber motor out of a MSX Polaris! its only a matter of time before the nickasil fails. When taking this into account a used block isn't worth very much.
    Sad really there would be more still running if the plating was right from new.

+1
    I try to explain to sellers on eBay that they are rip off sellers if they sell a used MSX weber engine for more than part value and they don't care. No ethics at all these days. Sold "as is" and they know it's a bad engine.

+1
    So I can expect to get nothing for my completely rebuilt mint condition 98 pro 785 that I want to sell? Not really liking what I'm hearing!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    You can still get a good price for a Polaris but it has to be exceptional in condition. The really beat up ones are not worth much.

+1
    My question to you is : If you want to sell is it to get money or to get rid of a ski that is no longer even getting rode? Because we all know there is more money in the "sum of the parts than the whole". so parting out is the way to go. However, I have come to the conclusion that it is really better to keep a good running ski .... I always have someone during the summer who comes to visit & I can put them on that ski & feel confident that they will be safe & have a blast ... not one of them ever says that old ski does it really run? LOL. It has occurred to me that having a spare one or two good running skis around is a Good Thing. Sure they take up a little room when it comes to storing for the winter & maybe a little work ... but for the most part they are the kind that you fix & forget .... they are like Timex .... just keep ticking. So I say ask yourself do you really want or need to sell?

10. +1 by:

+1
    I will never pay more for a part than a whole ski. That is what these part out people dont get. If a ski is worth under a grand then why is the engine out of it worth more? I told a guy on ebay he was an idiot as i could find two entire skis for what he was asking for a used engine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information