Riding in late october in MO = sucking in leaves

A little background on our PWC. We are new owners this year of a used 2004 FX cruiser. This was our first year in the water with it. When we got it, it only had about 60 hours on it. We rode the heck out of it and it performed flawlessly all year. About 102 hours on it now. This past weekend was abnormally warm and we had one last chance to use it for the year. Unfortunately there were a lot of leaves down in the area. We had good luck on our first two rides (about an hour long each), but as I was riding it to the ramp to pull it from the water for the winter, i must have rode over a big lot of leaves and sucked some up. As i approached the ramp i noticed that the ski wouldn't get up and go. It would just vibrate and shake, and would only get going about 8 - 10 mph or so. I expected that i just ran over a bunch of dead leaves on the water. I idled back to the ramp and pulled it up out of the water on the trailer. I went to pull all the leaves out the inlet but noticed that most must have fallen out on their own when I got it up out of the water. I started the motor in the parking lot and all sounded normal - revved fine. The blades al looked normal and nothing further was lodged up in there. I decided to put it back in the water to ensure it was running well. I rode for about another 10 min after that and it seemed good. Sounded normal, and topped out at about 52 mph like it always before. No overheating or anything like that either...

My question is there any chance I did any permanent damage? I wasn't the only one who had this issue. The two guys next to me at the dock both ran over a big clump of leaves (much further away from help than I did) and had to idle about an hour back to the dock. I was only about 100 yds away from the ramp when I had my mishap. I know i could have jumped in to try to clear the jam but the water was pretty chilly so i decided not to go that route...

But back to my point... any chance I screwed anything up? Any signs of damage I should be on the lookout for? Coolant passages blocked? Anything like that?

+1
    Not likely, sounds like you chewd them up and spit them out LOL.

+1
    wasn't this weather ahhh-mazing this weekend?? I took mine out on Truman yesterday for some fishing..

Quote Originally Posted by DanSquires View Post
    wasn't this weather ahhh-mazing this weekend?? I took mine out on Truman yesterday for some fishing..

It was! We had planned on headed to the lake to just do some fishing, but when i saw the weather I couldn't help but get a couple more good rides in.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Not likely, sounds like you chewd them up and spit them out LOL.
    Thats what I'm thinking... (and hoping!)

+1
    If you shut the motor off and bounce the rear end up and down it will sometimes shake something off the grate. Hey its worth a shot. better than getting in cold water and riding back to the ramp .

Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    If you shut the motor off and bounce the rear end up and down it will sometimes shake something off the grate. Hey its worth a shot. better than getting in cold water and riding back to the ramp .
    In retrospect that totally makes sense. I guess shutting off the motor eliminates the suction keeping it all jammed in place, and a little swooshing around of the rear end takes care of the rest.

Wish I had thought that all through before I limped it back in.

+1
    This is my marina from October to spring and I still go out. I think you will be ok

+1
    OMG ... that is amazing that any boating or skiing gets done

9. +1 by:

+1
    ^ I dont think a mud motor could get through that mess.. need an air boat lol.

+1
    Never underestimate the will of a person and a pwc. Plants? What plants?

I would make sure your intake screen is not plugged. Mine is pretty clogged up after a run this time of year.

Thread Information