Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Matrix Makeover

Matrix Makeover

Can't believe I have had this for 10yrs already. At times it has brought great feelings of accomplishment, and at other times frustration. I have learned so much about carberation, timing, compression, octane, cooling, and jet pump function over this time. A week after last years ride-in at Harsen's Island, and I believe at one point we were 7 miles up the river, I was out on a local river and the water intake hose split and filled the hull with water. If that would of happened a week earlier she would of sunk. Good news is I made it back to the trailer. It was amazing how quickly the jet pump could fill the hull with water! Other good news is I didn't ingest any water and the motor wasn't hurt by overheating. Also, I learned that if I use a rubber hose for 10yrs, that sits in the bottom of the hull, it is going to fail. To replace the hose I had to remove the carbs and pipes. Once I had those off, and reflected, I figured the motor was not touched for 8yrs (had some educational pistons the 1st couple of yrs). So I decided to go through everything. The plan is to freshen it up, to improve upon what I've done or to improve upon Polaris engineering. Between the hard winter last year and a busy year at work the project went no where. So off to the garage and let the build begin!

Banned User
    +1
    Awesome!!!! Share lots of pics.. Hope to see you in Michigan again next year. Are you going to add the GPS module for the speedo too?

We actually had a MSX lose the through hull seal and filled up all the way to the top of the seat opening. We got it all drained out and its still running.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010581.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	345206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010582.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	345207

On it. Actually the bearing still feels/sounds good, but is on the list for replacement. The other issue that occurs now and then is the through hull bearing carrier mount starts to leak. Since the motor is out, it is the ideal time for reinforcement. While prepping surface, I found a lot of air bubbles in areas of the epoxy that holds the Al mount to the fiberglass hull. I can see why some may leak with time. Reinforced the interior with a few layers of epoxy glass, and sealed the exterior seam with 3M panel adhesive.

Might have noticed a few missing cables, intake tube, and studs in the photo.

Name:	P1010579.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	345233

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Just-Pinch-It View Post

Name:	P1010582.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	345207

... sealed the exterior seam with 3M panel adhesive.
    Why that particular sealant instead of a marine grade product?

I guess no particular reason and I thought of that. Plus I had a fairly full tube that was lying around that was going to go to waste. Its really sticky when going on and it hardens when dry. My only goal was to have an impervious covering over the epoxy seam to keep water out.

Banned User
    +1
    That 3m stuff will be more than good enough. I find a lot of times that marine grade is just a term used to double the price. Im pretty sure the Plexus adhesive i used to bond my hull is the same stuff used to bond that aluminum piece to the hull. Its crazy strong stuff.

Banned User
    +1
    I would love to see a pic of your reverse bucket setup so i can make the msx bucket work with my setup. The SLT bucket just doesnt make enough reverse thrust.

+1
    I would like to see a pic of that as well. I want to do a trim setup and this would be good info

+1
    Have to subscribe to this, anything matrix is always a good read!

Let's see some ski pics!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information