Electic mini outboard motor.

Hey guys, I tend to a lot of wake skating and wake bording with my ski.
    I take it to my local beach, it has a concrete ramp but to get round to the beach front I need to set off from the ramp and ride around the pier it's only take a few minutes but once i get around it's sort of walled off so it's quite calm flat compared to what it's like if I ride out past the wall to open sea.

Now i tend to only go out with the one ski and just cruise around between 25-30mph towing each other.
    But I do worry that with it just being the one ski and if we brake down and the engibe fails for what ever reason we can't get back if nobody else is out there! I do have a radio but I'd rather make it back to the ramp without calling the coast gaurd if we can safely do so. I do have a emergency extendable paddle but I think I'd struggle to use that to get me back around the pier so I'm thinking of buying a small electric outboard motor that I could just clamp on the rear deck of the ski. So with me always being really close to the beach, if I broke down I could just swim the ski to the beach and put down the anchor. Go to the vsn and get the electric outboard motor and stick it on the back of the ski and head back round to the ramp.

What at are people's thoughts on this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	345265

+1
    the main problem I see is the battery in jet ski's tend to be very small and a lot of times not in the best of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicgun View Post
    the main problem I see is the battery in jet ski's tend to be very small and a lot of times not in the best of shape.
    These have there own chargeable battery mate, tend to last around 1hr after a full charge or so I've read

Edit: sorry not the outboard in the picture here but some do come with there own battery

I looked into these because I launch from a ramp that has 100 meters of shitty weed, old leaves, twigs etc about a foot below the surface (it's a kick in a shallow natural harbour). Everytime we launch we drag up all this into our pumps even at idle.

So we thought of an electric outboard (they're called trolling motors for fishermen to sneak up quietly on their fishing ground). When we did the geeky maths, the hp to push a 300kg+ ski/rider in still water was so high that the battery life would be less than 5 mins. Travelling at less than 3 mph that isn't very far. Add to this any current or wind and the rest is history.

We bought a double ended canoe paddle that breaks down to 25cm. It's doable if the wind is with you, but very hard and slow.

I understand your issue. You don't wanna hit the big red button for a small but important problem.

The only thing I could suggest is an inflatable dingy that has a solid transom to mount a 10 or 15 hp outboard on. Get a 12v compressor and keep it all in your van. If needed you could be mobile in a few mins and tow the ski without a rider. That would work.

I see secondhand outboards on Ebay all the time for no money.

Worth a thought. Afterall, no amount of preventative maintainence can prevent a breakdown, ask me how I know!!

I think this one has its own chargeable battery:
    Attachment 345267

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    I looked into these because I launch from a ramp that has 100 meters of shitty weed, old leaves, twigs etc about a foot below the surface (it's a kick in a shallow natural harbour). Everytime we launch we drag up all this into our pumps even at idle.

So we thought of an electric outboard (they're called trolling motors for fishermen to sneak up quietly on their fishing ground). When we did the geeky maths, the hp to push a 300kg+ ski/rider in still water was so high that the battery life would be less than 5 mins. Travelling at less than 3 mph that isn't very far. Add to this any current or wind and the rest is history.

We bought a double ended canoe paddle that breaks down to 25cm. It's doable if the wind is with you, but very hard and slow.

I understand your issue. You don't wanna hit the big red button for a small but important problem.

The only thing I could suggest is an inflatable dingy that has a solid transom to mount a 10 or 15 hp outboard on. Get a 12v compressor and keep it all in your van. If needed you could be mobile in a few mins and tow the ski without a rider. That would work.

I see secondhand outboards on Ebay all the time for no money.

Worth a thought. Afterall, no amount of preventative maintainence can prevent a breakdown, ask me how I know!!

Yeah i I see what you mean.
    I think it would take me around 8-10 minutes to get back around the pier at around 3mph like. Maby worth looking at a electic motor that has a longer life battery or something. If not I can look up your idea as that sounds good!

Would the outboard motor your refuring to have its own petrol tank too so it's just a case of bolting it on the back of an inflatable?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosta View Post
    ... with it just being the one ski and if we break down and the engine fails for whatever reason we can't get back if nobody else is out there! I do have a radio but I'd rather make it back to the ramp without calling the coast guard if we can safely do so.

... thinking of buying a small electric outboard motor

... with me always being really close to the beach, if I broke down I could just swim the ski to the beach and put down the anchor....

What at are people's thoughts on this?
    Thoughts?

Use the money that an electric outboard motor plus battery would cost to buy a subscription to an emergency boat towing service

Use the money to upgrade the watercraft in terms of maintenance and reliability. Old watercraft often need more attention that they get, until something breaks.

Find a riding buddy with another PWC, or buy a second watercraft and leave it on your double trailer until you need it (as a tow truck). People will tend to be available to go riding if you provide the PWC

+1
    Yearly subscription to sea tow or boat us is much easier than carrying a trolling motor on a jetski.

Thread Information