What is a good starter

Need a new starter. What is a good one so I'm not changing it again next season??

+1
    oem is the best for the seadoos.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    as long as you don't abuse em, I haven't seen much in the way of comebacks on the gaggle of Chinese starters I've installed in the last couple of years

Of course If I was running the panama canal, it would be OEM all the way, but those oem units are wallet flatteningly expensive.

Get one(SBT/WSM) at your local shop..if you want OEM you can order em here...

welcome to the hulk by the way...

Banned User
    +1
    I would probably go used OEM before a new aftermarket one. I have had good luck with used OEM starters

+1
    If you use SBT starters, taking them apart and sealing them up with silicone/rtv and loctiting the bolts helps. I do this, and i have had good luck with them. New OEM is too expensive, used OEM always requires at least a rebuild kit in my opinion. I have had good luck with Caltric rebuild kits (from ebay) installed in worn out OEM starters... Again, special care is needed. I take the time to sand the armiture smooth where the brushes touch, seal them up well with sealant, and loctite the bolts. They have to be sealed well to keep the sparks in and the water out, otherwise you are headed for disaster.

+1
    The aftermarket ones are junk! Rebuild your OEM for under $20

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    where can I get an armature rewound and or a new brush kit or a new bendix for $20?

While I am fond of saying "it's never jus the starter", I haven't had to eat an aftermarket one so far......

I will agree that OEM starters are betterer..you do get what you pay for in this regard

The starter button is what kills most starters...and booster packs..and sinkage..and folks that think that cranking an engine till its' glowing will somehow make it magically start.

If jetskis used pull starters people would be more inclined to keep them in good condition. How many times do you try a mower before you go for a toolbox?

+1
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Rebu...c24c64&vxp=mtr

Here is the $20 rebuild... works IF the only problem is worn brushes, which is about half of what i have seen. If the armature or the bendix is mulched, I toss them in the scrap pile...
    I give ppl a choice with pricing, OEM or aftermarket, nobody has wanted to pay the price for OEM yet, ever. I sell them SBT starters, then rebuild their OEM ones for my personal skis if there is anything left... I have had excellent luck with both.

Peter, i totally agree, ppl kill these starters for no good reason thinking their junk is magically gonna run if they just try to start it again for another 20 minutes... even OEM won't hold up to a real idiot.

Thread Information