XLT - Starting after beaching

Hi All,

I haven't had my XLT1200 for all that long, although i have an issue with starting it. When i start it on the trailer or in the water it is fine, no worries, but after putting it on the beach and taking it back out, it doesn't kick. It sounds like it struggling to start. After 3 or 4 attempts it finally kicks over.

I dont ride the ski up onto the beach, i kill the motor before it hits the sand, and just pull it up enough so it doesn't float away. I push the ski off the sand and out to waist height of water before i reboard and attempt to start. This is when it doesnt start. The beaches around me (man made along the side of the river), have a rather steep incline.

Is this something i am doing wrong, does it sound like it is getting blocked with sand, or could this be something else. The motor has just had a full top and bottom end rebuild, it did this prior to the rebuild and afterwards. Any ideas.

Cheers
    J

+1

Cool

check the ground cable,break out the ohm/volt meter
    later cd

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    That sounds to me like a carb issue. It used to happen to me with my GP 800 & with the XLT I have just like yours. It's when the carbs need some tunning. Doesn't have anythign to do with beaching it. You simply beach the ski after riding it for a bit & when you beach it, its probably turned off for more than 4-5 minutes or longer. Heck, tie yourself up to a boat after riding for 15-20 minutes & leave the ski turned off for more than 5 minutes or so & the same thing will happen. It's the carbs. You're probably mixing a bit more oil than u should. Are u premixing or using the oil pump? Check into it. Good luck!

PWC Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post
    That sounds to me like a carb issue. It used to happen to me with my GP 800 & with the XLT I have just like yours. It's when the carbs need some tunning. Doesn't have anythign to do with beaching it. You simply beach the ski after riding it for a bit & when you beach it, its probably turned off for more than 4-5 minutes or longer. Heck, tie yourself up to a boat after riding for 15-20 minutes & leave the ski turned off for more than 5 minutes or so & the same thing will happen. It's the carbs. You're probably mixing a bit more oil than u should. Are u premixing or using the oil pump? Check into it. Good luck!

PWC Maniac
    Yep. Saw the same symptoms with my gp800. Usually, choking it and giving it a little throttle would eventually start mine, though.

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post

PWC Maniac
    Good point, is machine spinning over but not starting? Early 1200r motors had fuel in carb’s boiling because of heat soaking; there is an insulator plate available

Later cd

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Common on xlt-xll when ski is in the water it's hard to start after it sits awhile. Have to crank and crank and then it will finally start. Install a primer kit and problem will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jims 1300 View Post
    Common on xlt-xll when ski is in the water it's hard to start after it sits awhile. Have to crank and crank and then it will finally start. Install a primer kit and problem will be solved.
    Thanks for all your help, i will install a primer and see how that goes. What is the cause of this issue?

I am using the oil tank/pump in the ski, i don't pre mix.

Thread Information