Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

New to PWC- help me choose

Hi everybody, like the title says, I'm new to the sport but very excited about buying a new ski around the end of January. I'm already planing to attend the boat show as it will be here in San Antonio then. Here's my situation- I'm 6ft 2in tall and will be riding almost all the time with my two kids who are 8 and 10 years old. I'm worried about feeling cramped on the ski. Not because of the kids but because of where I will be sitting in the seat. Since most of the new skis are coming with these almost bucket-like, stadium riser style seats, I'm afraid I won't be able to decide on where I put my ass. Being forced to sit too far up is going to cramp my legs I'm sure. Is this correct or do these things have more leg room than I imagine? I'm leaning towards the Yamaha FX HO. I really am favoring this ski over the SeaDoo GTX 155, but I'm just not sure which way to go. I like these skis because I'm concerned with comfort and performance. I want as much power as I can get without a supercharger. Having the power a supercharger can bring would be nice but truth is, I'm not into racing and don't like the idea of additional maintenance cost or having to run super unleaded. Thanks for reading and if anyone can relate to these issues, I'd love to know what you think.

P.S.- I was also considering the the Yamaha VXS, this ski seems like it would have the power I want and it seems like the seat is more elongated and not so much bucket-like. To me it seems like this would give me the option of choosing where to sit. Is this rationale correct?

+1
    The Fx have good seats and leg room......

+1
    The Fx is a huge ski. You'll have no trouble at all fitting on it with 2 kids. On the other hand the VXS is much smaller but a friend of mine is 6'4 and rides his very comfortably.

Best advice I can give would be to go down to a showroom at the dealership or the boat show and sit on a couple different models. You'd be surprised how big the newer skis actually are.

+1
    really only the cruisers have the bucket seating. you will be surprised how much leg room you have on most all of the skis. they usually have long tunnels that go forward past the handlebars by quite a bit. I would recommend stopping by a yamaha dealer and sitting on a few, although they may not have many out this time of year.

+1
    Hey Reaper, you're from Canyon Lake, very cool. I plan on riding there a bunch starting next spring. Thanks for your input, I will sit on some skis and see what the room situation looks like. In any case, I know I'm not the tallest SOB riding skis out there and there has to be one that I will be comfortable on. I'm excited about getting into the sport. I have always loved boating and water sports. I haven't owned a boat since before my kids were born so finally getting back into it will be nice indeed.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mursegeorge View Post
    ... I'm 6ft 2in tall and will be riding almost all the time with my two kids who are 8 and 10 years old.

... most of the new skis are coming with these almost bucket-like, stadium riser style seats ...

... do these things have more leg room than I imagine? ...
    Be sure to verify that both kid's legs are long enough for their feet to be in full contact with the traction mats. Whoever is on the rearmost seat position is going to want a good grip with their feet, in my opinion should be able to lift their backside clear of the seat without using tippy toes. This allows each passenger to apply full pressure to the foot/leg on the 'outside' of a hard turn to counter the forces trying to topple them sideways.

Similar story for hard acceleration and bumpy water, a too high seat makes for a fatiguing ride for passengers.

The middle rider can grip your PFD for additional stability. The person on the very back of the seat, not so much.

On the safety front, lots of good info has been previously posted around Greenhulk.

One item I will mention is to ensure that every passenger knows how the machine works and how to operate it. If you happen to be injured while away from shore or far from help, a passenger may need to drive it back, perhaps with you wincing over each wave in the middle position.

Have at least one spare lanyard on the watercraft, every ride. Lanyards can fail or get lost. In my own case the PFD of the passenger always has a spare lanyard attached. If I suddenly go long distance swimming, the passenger has everything they need to get the machine going and come fetch me. Or make their way back to the dock, if needed.

Also teach them every aspect of the pre-ride checks (trailer and hitch too, not just the skis), the pre-launch process, and the actual launching and recovery. Extra sets of eyes that know how things are supposed to be can avert little problems and counter big potential problems, like checking the drain plugs and the winch gear latch.

Enjoy your time on the water next year!

+1
    George, I have an FX SHO Cruiser (shown to the left in my profile pic) and I am also 6'2". If you do not want to feel cramped, do not get the cruiser seats. They put you too far forward exactly like you are thinking. I actually end up sitting on the peak of the lumbar support and it sucks. My FZR (seen below) does not have this issue and I love it.

+1
    I'm new to PCW as well and I'm also doing my research. I'd like to ask the OP (Mursegeorge) and CCW if they'd add their inseam length as they may be different and do play a factor in if someone will be comfortable or not. Just would like a "true" apple to apple comparison.

I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam.
    Thanks!

+1
    Mursegeorge, hello & welcome to the Hulk. You will find there really are several non-turbo or SC skis that will fit the bill. So it will come down to price, I am sure. I used to ive in San Antonio, and Canyon Lake was our week end home Ha Ha. When you choose the ski that you most like then do shop the price... you can find deals out there. Stay tuned in to this forum it will provide you all the answers to your great deal of questions you will have as a new ski owner & rider. Good Luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    I'm new to PCW as well and I'm also doing my research. I'd like to ask the OP (Mursegeorge) and CCW if they'd add their inseam length as they may be different and do play a factor in if someone will be comfortable or not. Just would like a "true" apple to apple comparison.

I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam.
    Thanks!
    33"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information