Winterizing a 96 SL900

Hey guys, I am helping a friend winterize her 96 Polaris this evening. I have owned a few ski's and fairly comfortable winterizing them but have never winterized a Polaris. Do I need to run the RV antifreeze thru it? I have read on a couple post and DIY that I don't. Last thing I want to do is mess up her ski. Fogging etc. shouldn't be a problem but I know getting all the water out is the most important..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There are multiple prior threads and post regarding winterizing these machines.

Antifreeze flushing through the raw water cooling system is not required on any Polaris model. Tip the nose of the trailer up high, start the engine and briefly but firmly burp the throttle several times. This should blow out excess water from the exhaust system.

Remove drain plugs and dry out the hull interior.

After that, engine fogging and fuel stabilization.

With ethanol blended gasoline the recommendation these days is to fully drain the fuel tank when possible rather than the pre-ethanol practice of leaving the fuel tank at least 90% full (with fuel stabilizer).

Be sure to turn off the fuel selector valve during storage.

The MFD on a Polaris does not by itself drain the battery despite the clock being visible all the time.

That said, disconnect or remove the battery if it is a traditional lead-acid battery. The modern battery recommendation is a Deka made ETX16 factory sealed AGM battery. Much longer shelf life, tougher battery, can sit all winter and still start the engine in the spring.

Thanks for the info..I was hoping you would reply..seen several of your post..

+1
    I go with the RV anti freeze, for $1 worth its cheap insurance, its not possible to remove all the water from the cooling system & the muffler is full of water, so is the lower part of the exhaust pipe on a domestic tripple, there is not reason NOT to use it, takes less than 5 minutes of time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    I go with the RV anti freeze, for $1 worth its cheap insurance, its not possible to remove all the water from the cooling system & the muffler is full of water, so is the lower part of the exhaust pipe on a domestic triple, there is no reason NOT to use it, takes less than 5 minutes of time.
    How do you inject the pink propylene glycol antifreeze into the cooling system?

I have sometimes injected antifreeze via the reverse flush port, but felt the resulting fluid distribution was uneven. Pumping it in via the main cooling water feed hose worked better, but just didn't seem to be worth the trouble.

The stock Polaris cooling system (excluding triple tuned exhaust pipe engines and Ficht) is gravity self draining. Even more so when you tilt the front of the trailer up high and burst rev the engine a few times to push most of the waterbox water out. The residual water does not seem to create a freeze damage problem.

Note that the color of the anti-freeze is not a grantee of what type of chemical it is. Avoid the alcohol based RV antifreeze. It is cheap but the alcohol evaporates leaving straight water behind. The propylene glycol antifreeze is more expensive but it is non-toxic and works well, if you decide you really want to use any antifreeze at all.
    Last edited by K447; 11-05-2014 at 07:07 PM.

+1
    Just get a submersible pump from hardware store . Attach a 10 foot garden hose to the pump outlet and submerse the pump into a 5 gallon bucket filled with pink, aluminum engine approved anti freeze. Start the engine and then plug in power cord for pump . Blip throttle gently until you see pink anti freeze come out pump, exhaust and tell tales(pissers).Done, simple peace of mind. You will use at least five gallons but it is worth it. The pump will pump the anti freeze through quickly so pay attention to the level in bucket so as not to run submersible pump dry.

+1
    All you need to do is remove the small hose on the top of the exhaust pipe, using a small funnel connected to the hose fill funnel 3 or 4 times, this puts the antifreeze in the lower part of the exhaust pipe & the muffler(after tipping the ski up), then put the same amount into the brass fitting on the exhaust pipe, this puts it into the cylinders & hoses connected to the bottom, they are mostly empty of water, but as I said in my first post it cheap insurance/peace of mind, total use is about a quart of RV antifreeze & takes less than 5 minutes.

Thread Information