Kawasaki sts 750 low compression test

I have a friend that has a Kawasaki 750 STS mid-nineties not sure of the year but it running 30 psi on one cylinder. I'm assuming at this point he has a hole through the piston and leaned the one out. if this is the case is it simple like they say where you pull the jug pull the piston head off put a new one on with the Rings put the jug back on or is it more complex. I know nothing is as simple as I make it sound but is this just something you can do in your carport or does it require a shop. I am mechanically inclined but my special tools only go a far as my small block chevys I've worked on in the past. Any and all input is appreciated.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pull the heads and post some shots to start off. sounds like a broken ring, a holed piston would have zero compression for the jug.

if the bores are damaged it gets complicated, if the piston is partially melted on the exhaust side, not quite so. But in any case the cause of the failure must be identified, or you might as well light cigars with $50 bills.

Understand that. Thanks for the info. I got a polaris and a seadoo and haven't had Amy problems yet but by digging threw them for the initial "I wonder why they are selling them look" they don't seem to complex on the top. The pics i got from this guy the motors don't look to much different so I thought I'll give it a look and see if i can identify the broken piece. Thank you again. I'll post the symptoms and damage when available.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pulling the cylinder head is simple and only requires a metric socket wrench and a little patience. Rmove the bolts from the high numbers down in ordered ( numbers are printed on the factory head) from there get a couple of pics of each jug with the piston at the bottom will help us help you.

Thread Information