Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 Genesis FFI Low Injector Volt

Been lurking around here for a while, fixed many things in my Genesis FFI.

I have spark, fuel pressure is good.

I do have low injector voltage.

10.4 Volts during cranking. Ski runs when primed with fuel. EMM is clean, with no burn or damage marks.

I did find that I have 0.0 ACV in the stator wire Pin 5-8. All rest Coils were in spec.

I have ruled out everything down to either Stator or the Flywheel. Will check Crank Sensor tomorrow for any debris.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If one of the Ficht stator coils is open circuit (infinite ohms, and therefore zero volts AC measured while cranking) then it seems likely that the flywheel magnets have come loose and damaged the stator.

Inspection of the flywheel and stator will confirm, of course.
    Last edited by K447; 10-31-2014 at 10:41 AM.

If that is the case them both the flywheel and stator would need to be replaced?

Also any reason why one of the injectors is running too rich? I tried switching it places with other injectors TEMPORARY and that cylinder always ends up running too rich where the injector was placed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by trizub1991 View Post
    If that is the case them both the flywheel and stator would need to be replaced?

Also any reason why one of the injectors is running too rich? I tried switching it places with other injectors TEMPORARY and that cylinder always ends up running too rich where the injector was placed.
    If flywheel magnets have come loose then the flywheel should be replaced. Some people have managed to glue the magnets back but I am not a fan, given the difficult environment the adhesive must endure.

The twelve magnet flywheel is considered an upgrade over the stock six magnet version. Twelve magnet flywheel was OEM only on the MSX 140 engine.

If the stator coils have been mechanically damaged (by magnet debris, typically) the reliable repair is to install a new or good used stator. All Polaris Ficht engines use the exact same stator, even the MSX 140.

What voltage is present on the White/Red wires when the engine is running? It should be stable at around 45 volts as RPM varies.

When you move the 'rich' injector to another cylinder the 'rich' symptoms move with the injector, correct? How are you determining that it is running rich?
    Last edited by K447; 10-31-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typos, missing details

Once the engine is primed with fuel, engine starts and runs. The voltage to the injectors goes up to 41-43 volts.

Regarding the injector, i tell by the plugs. The two cylinders have normal brown appearance, where the rich injectors plug always becomes black/dry. After cleaning the plugs and switching places, the plug once again becomes black on that cylinder.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    try switching the coils..that should expose the culprit

+1
    ... Regarding the injector, i tell by the plugs. The two cylinders have normal brown appearance, where the rich injectors plug always becomes black/dry. After cleaning the plugs and switching places, the plug once again becomes black on that cylinder.
    What is being switched? The spark plugs or the injectors?

Are you physically taking the 'bad' fuel injector and moving it to another cylinder, hooking it up to that cylinder's wire harness connector, and then running the engine?

Yes, physically unhooking the injector from the wire harness and fuel lines and moving it to another cylinder hooking it up to its wires/fuel lines.

Coils was my first suspect, but all three have good spark, and i have triple grounded them to the heads.
    i followed your guide, scratched the paint at the contact location, added a washer, AND ran the ground wire to it.

Original location of the coils was on the bracket under the seat, but i have relocated them as the heads mounting location makes wires more organized.

Regarding the plugs, I meant that even if i put a clean plug into the cylinder with bad injector it becomes black/dry.

+1
    Yes, physically unhooking the injector from the wire harness and fuel lines and moving it to another cylinder hooking it up to its wires/fuel lines.

Coils was my first suspect, but all three have good spark, and i have triple grounded them to the heads.
    i followed your guide, scratched the paint at the contact location, added a washer, AND ran the ground wire to it.
    And the spark plug blackening follows the fuel injector around, correct?

It is of course possible for a Ficht fuel injector to go bad but it doesn't happen very often, from what I have seen. Which is why you want to check carefully that some other factor is not causing the problem.

You can swap red engine Ficht ignition coils around, they are all the same. Not that hard to do and it will at least confirm that the problem is not at all related to an ignition coil.

On a related note, the exhaust temp sensor uses the same connector as the fuel injectors. Sometimes the exhaust connection ends up plugged into a fuel injector by mistake.

Check the wire colors going to each fuel injector to verify the connectors are correctly matched to the cylinders. The color code of the ignition primary wire and the fuel injector wire are matched for each cylinder. The stripe on one wire should match the solid color on the matching wire (injector and ignition primary). Elsewhere on here I have posted the wire color codes for each Ficht cylinder.

Yes, wire are correctly plugged in. I believe the Color sequence was Blue,Purple, Green

It is the same color sequence as the Coils.

Thats what has me confused, is that the plugs blackens following the injector.

Edit: Any possibility that the Stator issue might be related to the injector running rich?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information